Solving Present Value Question: Finding (1+i)^2n | Actuary Class

• Thread starter Jrb599
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about present value in an actuary class. The sum of the present value of 1 paid at the end of n periods and 1 paid at the end of 2n periods is equal to 1. The question is to find (1 +i)^2n. The solution involves setting x = 1/(1+i)^n and y = 1/(1+i)^2n and solving for x, y, and r using three equations. The answer is 3/2 + sqrt(5)/2.
Jrb599
[SOLVED] Present Value question

I didn't really know where to post this. It's for an actuary class which eventually gets to applied statitistics, so I put it here. Anyways here it goes

The sum of the present value of 1 paid at the end of n periods and 1 paid at the end of 2n periods is 1. Find (1 +i)^2n.

The back of the book says the answer is 3/2 + sqrt(5)/2

I start with

1/(1+i)^n + 1/(1+i)^2n = 1

There are no given values for i and n. Anyone able to help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x = 1/(1+i)^n and y = 1/(1+i)^2n

(Eq.1) x/y = (1 + r)^n
(Eq.2) x + y = 1
(Eq.3) 1/(1 + r)^n + 1/(1 + r)^(2 n) = 1

Solve for x, y, r.

To solve this question, we need to use the formula for calculating the present value of a future payment:

PV = FV / (1+i)^n

Where PV is the present value, FV is the future value, i is the interest rate, and n is the number of periods.

In this case, we have two future payments, one at the end of n periods and one at the end of 2n periods. So we can rewrite the equation as:

PV1 + PV2 = 1

Where PV1 is the present value of 1 paid at the end of n periods and PV2 is the present value of 1 paid at the end of 2n periods.

Using the formula, we can substitute the values and get:

1/(1+i)^n + 1/(1+i)^(2n) = 1

Now, we need to solve for (1+i)^(2n). To do this, we can use algebraic manipulation to isolate it on one side of the equation:

1/(1+i)^(2n) = 1 - 1/(1+i)^n

Next, we can simplify the right side by finding a common denominator:

1/(1+i)^(2n) = (1(1+i)^n - 1)/(1+i)^n

Now, we can use the formula for calculating the present value again to get:

1/(1+i)^(2n) = (1+i)^n - 1/(1+i)^n

We can then multiply both sides by (1+i)^n to get:

1 = (1+i)^n + (1+i)^(2n)

Finally, we can factor out (1+i)^n on the right side to get:

1 = (1+i)^n(1 + (1+i)^n)

Now, we can substitute the value of PV1 + PV2 = 1 back into the equation to get:

(1+i)^n(1 + (1+i)^n) = 1

We can then use the quadratic formula to solve for (1+i)^n:

(1+i)^n = (-1 + sqrt(1 + 4))/2

(1+i)^n = (-1 + sqrt(5))/2

Finally, to get the value of (1+i)^(2n), we simply square both sides:

(1+i)^(2n) = [(-1

FAQ: Solving Present Value Question: Finding (1+i)^2n | Actuary Class

1. What is present value and why is it important?

Present value is a financial concept that calculates the current value of a future sum of money, taking into account the time value of money and potential interest earned. It is important because it allows us to compare the value of money at different points in time and make informed decisions about investments and financial planning.

2. How is present value calculated?

The formula for present value is PV = FV / (1 + r)^n, where PV is the present value, FV is the future value, r is the discount rate, and n is the number of periods. Alternatively, there are many online calculators and software programs that can help with present value calculations.

3. What is the difference between present value and future value?

Present value is the current value of a future sum of money, while future value is the value that a current sum of money will have at a specified future date, taking into account interest earned. Present value discounts future cash flows to their current value, while future value compounds current cash flows to their future value.

4. How does the discount rate affect present value?

The discount rate is a crucial factor in determining present value. A higher discount rate means that the present value of a future sum of money will be lower, as the impact of inflation and potential interest earned is greater. A lower discount rate will result in a higher present value.

5. Can present value be negative?

Yes, present value can be negative. This occurs when the future value is lower than the initial investment or when the discount rate is high enough to outweigh the potential future earnings. A negative present value indicates that the investment may not be worthwhile.

Back