[Series] State the first four terms and find the nth term

In summary, to find the unknown term (end value) in a series, we can use the formula n(n+4) or solve for n algebraically using summation techniques. Another approach is to use a linear inhomogeneous difference equation and the method of undetermined coefficients to find the closed-form of the sum.
bunyonb
What is the procedure for finding the unknown term(end value in this scenario) in a series? For example

\(\displaystyle

\sum_{r=1}^{n}{2r+3}
\)

My Attempt was to simply state the first four terms and then simply add the nth term as it is:

2(1)+3=5
2(2)+3=7
2(3)+3=9
2(4)+3=11
2(n)+3=2n+3

Total
=5+7+9+11+2n+3=35+2n

Would this be a correct procedure or is here something I am misunderstanding? I cannot remember if you are supposed to multiply the last value with the sequence or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your statement of the first 4 terms, and the $n$th term are correct, however, if you wish to find the sum, I would proceed as follows:

\(\displaystyle S=\sum_{r=1}^{n}(2r+3)=2\sum_{r=1}^{n}(r)+3\sum_{r=1}^{n}(1)=2\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right)+3(n)=n(n+1)+3n=n^2+n+3n=n^2+4n=n(n+4)\)

MarkFL said:
Your statement of the first 4 terms, and the $n$th term are correct, however, if you wish to find the sum, I would proceed as follows:

\(\displaystyle S=\sum_{r=1}^{n}(2r+3)=2\sum_{r=1}^{n}(r)+3\sum_{r=1}^{n}(1)=2\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right)+3(n)=n(n+1)+3n=n^2+n+3n=n^2+4n=n(n+4)\)

So the procedure to find the nth term is to solve for n algebraically?

bunyonb said:
So the procedure to find the nth term is to solve for n algebraically?

No, you correctly found the $n$th term, but if we wish to actually sum the series, then we have to apply some summation techniques. :D

MarkFL said:
summation techniques. :D

Well there you have it. I do not know summation techniques. That's what I need to study.. Thanks. It is much easier when i understand the correct terminologies and terms so i can have easier means to reference or look it up. Half of my problems in mathematics is not knowing what to look for because i don't know what something or a procedure is called.

We could also derive the closed-forum for the sum directly by stating it in the following linear inhomogeneous difference equation (recursion):

\(\displaystyle S_{n}-S_{n-1}=2n+3\) where $S_1=5$

Instead of relying on memorized summation formulas.

Now, we see the characteristic equation has the root $r=1$, and so the homogeneous solution is:

\(\displaystyle h_n=c_1\)

Now, observing that the RHS of the difference equation has a constant term, and noting that the homogeneous solution is itself a constant, we must then assume the particular solution will take the form:

\(\displaystyle p_n=n(An+B)=An^2+Bn\)

Now, we can use the method of undetermined coefficients to find $A$ and $B$...so we substitute the particular solution into the difference equation:

\(\displaystyle \left(An^2+Bn\right)-\left(A(n-1)^2+B(n-1)\right)=2n+3\)

\(\displaystyle An^2+Bn-A(n^2-2n+1)-B(n-1)=2n+3\)

\(\displaystyle An^2+Bn-An^2+2An-A-Bn+B=2n+3\)

\(\displaystyle 2An+(-A+B)=2n+3\)

Equating coefficients, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 2A=2\implies A=1\)

\(\displaystyle -A+B=3\implies B=4\)

And so our particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle p_n=n^2+4n\)

And by the principle of superposition, the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle S_n=h_n+p_n=c_1+n^2+4n\)

Now, we use the initial condition to determine the parameter:

\(\displaystyle S_1=c_1+1^2+4(1)=c_1+5=5\implies c_1=0\)

And so the solution satisfying all conditions is:

\(\displaystyle S_n=n^2+4n=n(n+4)\)

1. What does it mean to "state the first four terms" in a series?

Stating the first four terms in a series means to list out the first four numbers or values in the series. For example, if the series is 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, stating the first four terms would be 2, 4, 6, 8.

2. What is the purpose of finding the nth term in a series?

Finding the nth term in a series allows us to determine the pattern or rule that is followed in the series. This can help us predict future terms in the series or find a specific term at a given position.

3. How do you find the nth term in a series?

To find the nth term in a series, you can use the general formula: nth term = a + (n-1)d, where "a" is the first term in the series and "d" is the common difference between each term. Alternatively, you can also use the specific formula for the type of series, such as arithmetic or geometric, if applicable.

4. Can the first four terms of a series be used to find the nth term?

Yes, the first four terms of a series can be used to find the nth term. However, it is recommended to have at least three terms in the series before attempting to find the nth term, as this ensures a more accurate result.

5. How does finding the nth term in a series relate to real-life applications?

Finding the nth term in a series is a common problem-solving skill used in various fields, such as mathematics, science, finance, and engineering. It allows us to understand and predict patterns or trends in data, which can be useful in making decisions or solving problems in real-life scenarios.