Preservation of kinetic energy

In summary, if two bodies have the same amount of kinetic energy before collision, then the mass of the two bodies will be the same after the collision.
matt010nj
Does preservation of kinetic energy of some body after collision(elastic for example) determine preserving of its mass?Is complete preservation of kinetic energy of two bodies after collision even possible?
Thanx
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of body - and what kind of kinetic energies?

If one is talking of high energy particles, as sufficient energies, new particles can be created by transforming energ into matter.

If one is discussing nuclear particles like neutrons or subatomic particles interacting the nuclei the mass may increase, decrease or remain the same depending on the type of nuclear reaction involved. If a neutron is absorbed, the resulting radionuclide may emit a gamma ray on the order keV or MeV. That is the equivalent of mass loss. One would need to consider if the reaction is endothermic or exothermic. Of course the neutron could scatter elastically.

In more classical (everyday cases) where KE < rest energy/mass, the mass is preserved regardless of whether the collision is elastic or inelastic.

"An elastic collision is defined as one in which both conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy are observed."
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/elacol.html#c4

"Macroscopic collisions are generally inelastic and do not conserve kinetic energy, though of course the total energy is conserved."
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/inecol.html#c1

In general, when bodies of matter (atoms) collide, energy is dissipated in the form of friction, heat (thermal energy), sound (acoustic energy) and mechanical deformation.

Last edited:
Thank You for answer.I can see now that what I really want to know is if kinetic energy of each particle may stay the same after collision.If during collision some energy is created in diffrent forms (like heat,sound etc),and mass stays the same it must come from kinetic energy of particles befor collision.Am I wrong? My questions comes from reading about elastic scattering which is part of topic I try to learn about(center of the galactic).
Thanx
Matt
PS
If its not a place I should ask such questions please let me know (and redirect me somwhere if you don't mind).Also I realize some parts of my questions may be trivial or simply childish but last time I had a physics lesson at school was 20 years ago ( high school in Poland) :-)).Thanx again . Matt

Last edited:

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and is a form of mechanical energy.

2. How is kinetic energy preserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, kinetic energy is preserved as long as there are no external forces acting on the object to change its motion.

3. Why is it important to preserve kinetic energy?

Preservation of kinetic energy is important because it allows for the efficient transfer of energy in various systems. Without the preservation of kinetic energy, energy would constantly be lost and not able to be used for useful work.

4. What factors affect the preservation of kinetic energy?

The preservation of kinetic energy is affected by the mass and velocity of the object, as well as any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. This conversion can occur through various processes, such as friction or collisions.