Pressure and flow rate - a novice seeks help

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to predict the pressure in a pump/pipe network for a desert pool project. They have been researching for a few hours but are still confused. They are trying to determine the necessary pump pressure to achieve a flow rate of 3000lts/h through a 1.25" diameter pipe and have been using Bernoulli's equation. However, they are only able to calculate pressure change and are unsure of where they are going wrong. Another person suggests that flow rate in a pipe is affected by friction and recommends using a pipe sizing chart to determine the pressure drop. They also mention the need to consider pressure drops across fittings and using Bernoulli's equation with a head loss term for
AdamTassle
Hi all,

This is probably nauseatingly simple but I'm struggling to get my head round it and would very much appreciate assistance!

I'm building a filter system for a rather ambitious desert pool project and I'm having difficulty predicting the pressure in the pump/pipe network. I've been trawling the internet for a few hours but remain thoroughly confused.

I am trying to work out the necessary pump pressure (psi) to create a flow rate of 3000lts/h through a pipe of 1.25" diameter. I'm no great mathematician but I've been playing with Bernoulli's equation, unfortunately I only seem to be able to calculate pressure change, rather than pressure based on flow rate and constriction.

I have a feeling I am making a conceptual error of epic proportions! Would someone be kind enough to point out where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!
AT

Physics news on Phys.org
Flow in a pipe is dominated by viscous effects, and bernoulli won't help you very much here. Flow rate will depend on both the length and diameter of the pipe, and can actually be somewhat complex to determine (depending on the details).

Friction is the key. Use a pipe sizing chart and it'll tell you the frictional pressure drop for a given length of pipe: http://www.conergy.us/PortalData/3/Resources/products/solar_pumps/pdf/Pipe_Sizing_Chart.pdf

You'll also need the pressure drop across any fittings or devices in the pipe. And you're also going about the issue backwards, picking the pipe size before you know the associated pressure drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your pipe has elevation changes or changes in diameter, you do need to use Bernoulli. Engineers use the Bernoulli equation with an additional 'head loss' term to account for friction and the pressure drops in fittings or devices in the pipe.

Hello AT,

It sounds like you are on the right track with using Bernoulli's equation to calculate the pressure in your pump/pipe network. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes an ideal, frictionless flow. In reality, there will be some loss of pressure due to friction as the water flows through the pipe.

To accurately predict the pressure in your system, you will need to take into account the frictional losses. This can be done using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as pipe roughness and flow velocity. You can also use a hydraulic calculator tool to help with these calculations.

Additionally, the flow rate of 3000 liters per hour is equivalent to 0.83 liters per second. This may seem like a small flow rate, but it is important to consider the length and elevation of your pipe network, as these factors can also affect the pressure required to achieve your desired flow rate.

I recommend consulting with a hydraulic engineer or using online resources to accurately calculate the pressure needed for your specific system. I hope this helps and good luck with your desert pool project!

1. What is pressure and how does it affect flow rate?

Pressure is the force exerted by a fluid against a surface. It can be measured in units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). In terms of flow rate, pressure plays a crucial role as it determines the speed at which a fluid will flow through a given system. Higher pressure generally results in a higher flow rate, while lower pressure results in a lower flow rate.

2. How are pressure and flow rate related?

Pressure and flow rate have an inverse relationship. This means that as pressure increases, flow rate decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa.

3. How is flow rate measured?

Flow rate is typically measured in units such as gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per second (L/s). It can be measured using various tools such as flow meters, which measure the volume of fluid passing through a specific point in a given time, or with a simple calculation using the cross-sectional area of the pipe and the velocity of the fluid.

4. How does the size of a pipe affect pressure and flow rate?

The size of a pipe has a significant impact on both pressure and flow rate. A smaller pipe diameter will result in higher pressure and a lower flow rate, while a larger pipe diameter will result in lower pressure and a higher flow rate. This is because a smaller pipe provides less room for the fluid to flow, increasing the pressure, while a larger pipe allows for more fluid to flow through, resulting in lower pressure.

5. What factors can affect pressure and flow rate?

There are various factors that can affect pressure and flow rate, including the viscosity of the fluid, the length and diameter of the pipe, and any obstructions or restrictions in the system. Temperature and altitude can also have an impact on pressure and flow rate. Additionally, the type of fluid and the type of pump or system used can also affect these variables.