1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli's principle, flow rate, velocity and pressure

1. May 23, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I need some help understanding Bernoulli's principle, flow rate, velocity and pressure.

I understand that when the diameter of a pipe decreases, the velocity will increase and the pressure will decrease. But I am having a hard time applying this to a practical application.

For example, for a shower I would want to maximize the water pressure. So for a given flow rate I would want to increase the pipe diameter to increase the pressure.

But what about filling up a bath tub? For a given flow rate, what size pipe would fill up the bathtub the fastest? Would I want the opposite to increase the speed? Or do I still want a larger diameter so I have a greater volume of water?

I feel like I am not understanding something very basic here.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2014 #2
    Since filling the bathtub is based on volume of water in the tub, you want to maximize the volumetric flow rate.

4. May 28, 2014 #3
    The quantity you're looking for is the DYNAMIC pressure of the fluid. This increases with increasing velocity of the fluid. Bernoulli's equation talks about the STATIC pressure at a point decreasing with increasing velocity for irrotational and inviscid flows. This is what a barometer attached to that point would measure. But the pressure at which your water is supplied is a third quantity and cannot possibly depend on what you choose to do with the geometry of the delivery pipe.

As for your second question, if you have a given flow rate (say 1 litre/min ) then a bathtub that has a 15 litre capacity will take 15mins to fill up. It doesn't matter what you do with the flow conditions at the outlet.

5. May 28, 2014 #4
    A word of caution when you apply bernoulli's equation. It's simply a statement of energy conservation applied to fluid dynamics. So ensure your system is closed ( no energy or mass flow in or out ) and that the flow is sufficiently approximated as inviscid (no thermal losses )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook