Pressure and the Young-Laplace Equation

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses a fluids problem involving a rotating cylinder with gravity and the resulting profile of the meniscus. The answer found was a parabolic meniscus, but the Young-Laplace equation was not used in the solution. The question is posed on when to use the Young-Laplace equation and when to consider surface tension, and it is suggested that a dimensionless group can determine the importance of surface tension forces. The conversation then delves into the formulation of the problem and the derivation of a dimensionless group, the McCraney number, which determines the significance of surface tension effects. The conversation ends with a discussion on the use of Navier-Stokes and a force balance on the free surface.
Chestermiller said:
Good. Now, there are a couple of ways to proceed further with the dimensional analysis. One way is to now set ##s_0=g/\omega^2##, so that the coefficient of Z is unity. What does this give you?

Chestermiller said:
The important thing is to assimilate this kind of methodology for reducing the equations for a system to dimensionless form.
I couldn't agree more. How did you know to scale ##Z## with ##R^2##, which is to say what to set as ##O(1)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
I couldn't agree more. How did you know to scale ##Z## with ##R^2##, which is to say what to set as ##O(1)##?
I wanted the terms for the case of zero surface tension to be preserved in the limit of zero surface tension.

Likes member 428835