1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure drop in laminar flow

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    as we all know , D=4R , D=hydraulic diameter , in the equation of P= (8μLV_avg) / (R^2) , i would get (128μLV_avg)/ (D^2) , am i right ? why the author gave (32μLV_avg)/ (D^2) ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends on the shape of the duct or tube you are using.

The hydraulic diameter is defined as DH = 4A/P, where A is the cross sectional area of the duct or pipe and P is the wetted perimeter..

For a circular pipe, DH = D (internal) of the pipe, or ##D_H = \frac{4 ⋅ π ⋅ \frac{D^2}{4}}{π ⋅ D} = D##

This article shows the hydraulic diameters for ducts of different shapes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_diameter

4. Feb 3, 2016 #3
    yes , i know that . the object given is a long circular tube , so it is D=4R , right ? the notes is wrong ?

5. Feb 3, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it's 2R as usual.

6. Feb 3, 2016 #5
    why the note gave 4R ?

Attached Files:

7. Feb 3, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They used the wrong formula for calculating hydraulic diameter to start with

##D_H = \frac{4A}{P}##

The rest is shoddy proof-reading and failing to catch the error.

8. Feb 3, 2016 #7
    Some authors define the hydraulic diameter as A/P. However, I have never liked this, and I always used 4A/P. But, if you are reading a text, you need to make sure which definition they are using.

9. Feb 3, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe you are confusing radius with hydraulic radius.
    The link from your original post mentioned R and D, with the implied relationship D=2R.
    Your link in post #5 does not mention R, but Rh. This is the hydraulic radius, which is meaningful in any cross section, and does not equate to the actual radius in the case of a cylindrical pipe. Indeed, the way it is defined at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_formula would make it R/2.

Edit: to clarify, Rh=R/2 for a filled cylindrical pipe, and for a half-filled horizontal pipe.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  10. Feb 3, 2016 #9
    Oops. In my last post, I meant to say hydraulic radius, not hydraulic diameter. Thanks for catching this.

11. Feb 4, 2016 #10
    so , D=4Rh or D=2Rh ?

12. Feb 4, 2016 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

D is the pipe diameter and is therefore twice the radius, D=2R.
    Rh is defined as the cross-sectional area of flow, A, divided by the wetted perimeter, P. For a filled cylindrical pipe radius R, A=πR2, P=2πR, so Rh=R/2=D/4.
    A half-filled horizontal cylindrical pipe has half the wetted perimeter and half the flow cross-section, so the same Rh.
    In between the two, Rh reaches a maximum somewhere.

13. Feb 4, 2016 #12
    i have an example from my books ,

it stated that Dh= 4A / P , why not Dh= 2A / P ? since 2 radius = diameter ?

14. Feb 4, 2016 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know why hydraulic diameter and hydraulic radius are defined in such ways that the ratio is 4:1 instead of 2:1. My guess is that it is an accident of history and the two definitions (in terms of A and P) were made independently.

15. Feb 4, 2016 #14
    so , just follow D_h = 4A/ P ? R_h = A/ P ?

16. Feb 4, 2016 #15

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. I suspect that you will not usually find both Rh and Dh used in the same text/problem. Authors will tend to adhere to one or the other. I could be wrong, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted