Flow Velocity- Guranteed to be Laminar

In summary, the question is asking for the maximum average flow velocity of water flowing through a pipe of diameter 50.0 mm at 20C, given the density and viscosity of water at that temperature. The condition for laminar flow is defined as a Reynolds number less than 2000. Therefore, to calculate the maximum average flow velocity, we need to find the Reynolds number using the given formula and choose a value that guarantees laminar flow.
flash_659

Homework Statement

Q) Water (p = 998 kg/m^3
, n = 1.0*10^-3 Pa.s at 20C) at 20C flows through a pipe of
diameter 50.0 mm. What is the maximum average flow velocity if the flow is
guaranteed to be laminar? Give your answer in mm/s.

Homework Equations

Reynolds number=(pvd)/n

The Attempt at a Solution

I am absolutely stumped on this last question for my assignment, I have no idea what to or how to calculate the flow from just these given constants.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given everything you need for the equation, except for the "soft" values Reynolds numbers that are a result of laminar flow. Most agree on the following:

for circular pipe flow only

laminar: Re < 2000
transitional: 2000 < Re < 4000
turbulent: Re > 4000

So, pick a Re that you think will "guarantee" laminar flow, plug n chug.

Hope I didn't just give it away too easily, but the values of Re were the only thing that you were missing.

1. What is flow velocity?

Flow velocity refers to the speed at which a fluid is moving through a channel or pipe.

2. What does it mean for flow velocity to be guaranteed to be laminar?

When flow velocity is guaranteed to be laminar, it means that the fluid is flowing in a smooth, orderly manner without any turbulence or mixing.

3. How is flow velocity related to laminar flow?

The flow velocity directly affects the type of flow, with lower velocities resulting in laminar flow and higher velocities resulting in turbulent flow.

4. Why is it important to have laminar flow?

Laminar flow is important in many scientific and industrial applications because it allows for accurate and predictable movement of fluids, which is crucial for processes such as filtration, mixing, and chemical reactions.

5. How can flow velocity be controlled to ensure laminar flow?

Flow velocity can be controlled by adjusting the flow rate, pipe diameter, and fluid viscosity. Additionally, using flow straighteners or reducing the roughness of the pipe walls can also help maintain laminar flow.