Pressure drop through an orifice in a pipe

In summary, the conversation is about determining the pressure loss over an orifice in a pipe. The speaker has an equation for the friction factor and knows the Reynold's number, but is unsure about choosing the appropriate velocity for the pressure drop equation due to the varying thickness of the orifice. They clarify that this is not a homework question, but rather a way to validate a CFD model. The other person suggests using an online calculator or a free restriction orifice plate calculator for this purpose.
Appa
Hey all,

I'd need help with determining the pressure loss over an orifice in a pipe. I have an equation for the friction factor so no problem there, and I know the Reynold's number as well. What confuses me is choosing the suitable velocity for the pressure drop equation;

[itex]\frac{Δp}{ΔL}[/itex] = ζρ[itex]\frac{{v^{2}}}{2D_{h}}[/itex]

The thickness of the orifice varies so the initial velocity corresponding to the Reynold's number surely won't be the most accurate choise for the pressure drop calculation, will it? (The thickness over hydraulic diameter will vary between 0 and 10).

This is not a homework question! I want to approximate the pressure drop in order to validate a CFD model of the orifice.

Cheers,
A

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is pressure drop?

Pressure drop refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs when a fluid flows through a constriction, such as an orifice, in a pipe.

2. How is pressure drop calculated?

The pressure drop through an orifice can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid's velocity, density, and the area of the orifice.

3. What factors affect pressure drop through an orifice?

The pressure drop through an orifice is affected by the fluid's viscosity, density, velocity, and the size and shape of the orifice.

4. Why is pressure drop important?

Pressure drop is important because it can impact the efficiency and performance of a system. It can also affect the flow rate and pressure of the fluid.

5. How can pressure drop be minimized?

Pressure drop can be minimized by using a larger orifice size, reducing the fluid's viscosity, or increasing the fluid's velocity. Additionally, ensuring a smooth and streamlined flow path can also help minimize pressure drop.