1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure due to uneven water distribution in connecting pipe

1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    WrCJqe2.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    RAydL9i.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    Im confused by this question, just looking at the diagram without any maths you can see what would happen. C and D would want to reach equilibrium and be at the same level so the pressure down on D would be the difference in heights of the fluid. ie. 12 h times p g. but the equation says 15 not sure how they arrived at that? could anyone here help please? i am trying to get the formula given

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 15h in the answer relates the pressure at D to atmospheric pressure. You are right that the pressure at D is related to the pressure at C by 12h.

4. Mar 13, 2016 #3
    Many thanks for the reply! ok so the pressure at D, is the atmospheric pressure minus (because it acts in the opposite direction) the pressure due to unequilibrium? I still cant see where the 15 comes from, please could you expand a little? thanks again

5. Mar 13, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See if you can work your way through the system point by point. Find P at A, then B, then C, then D. (You can probably skip A.)

6. Mar 13, 2016 #5
    ok will try that, thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted