1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure in a rotating cylinder

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A space station consists of a large cylinder of radius [itex]R_0[/itex] filled with air. The cylinder spins about its symmetry axis at an angular velocity of [itex]\Omega[/itex] providing a centripetal acceleration of [itex]g[/itex] at the rim of the cylinder (at [itex]R_0[/itex]).

If the temperature is constant inside the station, what is the ratio of the air pressure [itex]P_c[/itex] at the center of the cylinder to the air pressure at the rim [itex]P_r[/itex]? (Treat the air as an ideal gas with each gas particle having a mass of [itex]m[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is beyond where I know what to start with. Could someone point me in a good direction? (or know of a place online or in textbooks that I could look up how to approach problems like this?)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?