Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pressure in a rotating cylinder

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A space station consists of a large cylinder of radius [itex]R_0[/itex] filled with air. The cylinder spins about its symmetry axis at an angular velocity of [itex]\Omega[/itex] providing a centripetal acceleration of [itex]g[/itex] at the rim of the cylinder (at [itex]R_0[/itex]).

If the temperature is constant inside the station, what is the ratio of the air pressure [itex]P_c[/itex] at the center of the cylinder to the air pressure at the rim [itex]P_r[/itex]? (Treat the air as an ideal gas with each gas particle having a mass of [itex]m[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    PV=NRT....

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is beyond where I know what to start with. Could someone point me in a good direction? (or know of a place online or in textbooks that I could look up how to approach problems like this?)

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2
    Take a look at question one in this page. There's a solution in PDF and PS formats (Czech language).

http://fykos.troja.mff.cuni.cz/index.php?id=2&serie=5&volume=21&lang=en&" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook