Pressure Loads on Cone - Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of forces on a flanged cone with flow through it. The equation (pA)_1 = (pA)_2 + R is used to calculate the reaction force on the flange. The question arises whether the static pressure inside the cone also generates a force normal to the walls, and if this force should be taken into account when summing forces. It is concluded that it does not need to be counted twice since the flow is at ambient pressure. An example from Munson, Young and Okiishi is mentioned and will be shared.
minger
Science Advisor
Wow, I should really know this but I can't think of it. Let's assume (totally assume, haha) that I have a flanged cone with a flow through it. The flange is of course going to have a reaction force on it based on the flow. I know that summing forces, I have forces at the inlet and outlet
(pA)_1 = (pA)_2 + R

Now, will the static pressure inside the cone also generate a force normal to the walls? I know that any radial component of that force will cancel. However, I'm concerned about the axial component. Is this static pressure force taken into account in the summation of forces?

I just don't want to count the force twice is all (but definitely don't want to leave it out).

edit: shoot, I also need to sum momentum and consider the change in (\dot{m} v)

edit Part Deux - I guess it doesn't matter since the flow is at ambient pressure. I suppose it there was a dP across the cone, then there would be a component.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a good example in Munson, Young and Okiishi for this very problem. It all comes down to how you select the control volume. I'll scan it in and post it.

Edit: Enjoy

Attachments

• Conical Example.pdf
    396.7 KB · Views: 1,544
Last edited:
Thanks Fred, I appreciate the annotations.

1. What is the concept of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before and after an event must be the same, regardless of any internal changes that may occur within the system.

2. How does conservation of momentum relate to pressure loads on a cone?

When a fluid is flowing over a cone, the conservation of momentum principle applies. This means that the total momentum of the fluid before and after it passes over the cone must be the same. This allows us to calculate the pressure loads on the cone based on the change in momentum of the fluid.

3. What factors affect pressure loads on a cone?

The pressure loads on a cone are affected by several factors, including the velocity of the fluid, the angle of the cone, and the density and viscosity of the fluid. These factors can impact the change in momentum of the fluid and therefore affect the resulting pressure loads.

4. How can pressure loads on a cone be calculated?

The pressure loads on a cone can be calculated using the conservation of momentum principle and the Bernoulli's equation. These equations take into account the aforementioned factors and allow for the determination of the pressure loads at various points on the cone.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying pressure loads on a cone?

Studying pressure loads on a cone can have many practical applications, such as in aerodynamics for designing aircrafts and rockets. It can also be useful in designing efficient wind turbines and optimizing the performance of hydraulic systems. Additionally, understanding pressure loads can help in predicting and mitigating potential damages to structures caused by wind or water flow.