Pressure of thermodynamical systems and gravity

In summary: Oh, I see, you think that the pressure gradient is ignored. It is not. It is trivial to include it, and in fact it is included in all undergraduate textbooks that I know of.In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of varying pressure in a thermodynamical system due to potential energy. The interlocutors consider the implications of this for calculations and reference materials, and suggest that the pressure gradient is not ignored in textbooks. They also discuss possible solutions to address this issue, such as considering a system for each infinitesimal height. However, it is mentioned that in equilibrium, the temperature is still considered uniform across the gas, even in the presence of a gravitational field.
atat1tata
In almost every textbook I have seen, pressure is said to be one of the most important state variables of a thermodynamical system. But if the system is three-dimensional and on planet Earth, it is not constant! This problem, however, is neglected in every reference I consulted.

It seems to me that it is to be addressed, since there is also potential energy (that makes the energy of the particles dependent on height) to consider.

The only solution I see is to assign a thermodynamical system for each infinitesimal height of the volume of the actual system. But considering, for example, a chemical reaction occurring in a bucket of water, how can it be described in terms of Gibbs free energy, that is useful only when the pressure is constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
atat1tata said:
In almost every textbook I have seen, pressure is said to be one of the most important state variables of a thermodynamical system. But if the system is three-dimensional and on planet Earth, it is not constant!

Well, pressure is a state variable, which suggests that it, you know, varies. Why do you think that pressure would be constant?

SteamKing said:
Why do you think that pressure would be constant?

Because in all the textbooks that I know of, they speak of "the pressure of a gas", or the "pressure of a bucket of water", and they do not consider [itex]\rho g h[/itex]

atat1tata said:
In almost every textbook I have seen, pressure is said to be one of the most important state variables of a thermodynamical system. But if the system is three-dimensional and on planet Earth, it is not constant! This problem, however, is neglected in every reference I consulted.

It seems to me that it is to be addressed, since there is also potential energy (that makes the energy of the particles dependent on height) to consider.

The only solution I see is to assign a thermodynamical system for each infinitesimal height of the volume of the actual system. But considering, for example, a chemical reaction occurring in a bucket of water, how can it be described in terms of Gibbs free energy, that is useful only when the pressure is constant?

The thermodynamic framework as presented in textbooks usually consider what is called a simple system which is by definition, one that is homogeneous and is not exposed to fields. Taking into account the gravitational field is possible. Instead of considering the pressure (P) one can consider σ which is the stress tensor. In that case, the forces need not be isotropic as you described.

EDIT: I had a solid in mind when I wrote this. I think the answer given by WannabeNewton below is more relevant.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
atat1tata said:
Because in all the textbooks that I know of, they speak of "the pressure of a gas", or the "pressure of a bucket of water", and they do not consider [itex]\rho g h[/itex]

[itex]\rho g h[/itex] of what? The atmosphere? The water in the bucket?

Gasses can be confined within closed vessels, where the pressure inside the vessel is independent of the pressure outside.

It's very much unclear what you are having a problem with.

SteamKing said:
[itex]\rho g h[/itex] of what? The atmosphere? The water in the bucket?

Gasses can be confined within closed vessels, where the pressure inside the vessel is independent of the pressure outside.

It's very much unclear what you are having a problem with.

Of the water in the bucket (or of the gas inside the vessel, although this can be easily negligible). I'm saying that the pressure inside a "thermodynamic system" is actually non-uniform, but calculations are done as if it were.

If you immerse an ideal gas in a gravitational field you simply have to wait for the gas to equilibriate and you can assign it a pressure in the usual way. The gas will come to equilibrium in such a way that the potential energy due to the gravitational field is taken into account in the pressure i.e. the pressure will be a function of the elevation. Nowhere in thermodynamics is pressure required to be uniform in space. In order to have a pressure you simply need a system that is in equilibrium and an ideal gas in a gravitational field will certainly come to equilibrium eventually. The only uniformity across the gas is that of the temperature ##T## which is a result of equilibrium##^{\dagger}##.

This is a very easy calculation to perform. Clearly by symmetry the non-uniformity in the gas distribution, and the pressure, will only vary along ##z## so consider an infinitesimal slab of thickness ##dz## of the ideal gas. Let the slab have cross sectional area ##A##. The number of gas particles in the slab is ##N = \frac{PA dz}{k_B T}## from the equation of state. The gas particles exert a net force ##F(z + dz) - F(z) = -Nmg = -mgA\frac{P}{k_B T}dz## so ##dP = \frac{dF}{A} = -mg\frac{P}{k_B T}dz## or ##\frac{dP}{P} = -\frac{mg}{k_B T}dz##. This tells you how the pressure varies with elevation.

##^{\dagger}## Actually, as an aside if you're interested, that the temperature is uniform across a gas in a gravitational field in equilibrium is only true in Newtonian gravity. In general relativity even the temperature of the gas varies with elevation in equilibrium essentially because ##T \sim E## and the energy ##E## itself gravitates. See Ehrenfest-Tolman effect.

atat1tata said:
Of the water in the bucket (or of the gas inside the vessel, although this can be easily negligible). I'm saying that the pressure inside a "thermodynamic system" is actually non-uniform, but calculations are done as if it were.

You're still not clear. What calculations?

The pressure in a bucket of water is not constant; it varies with the depth of the water, as the formula ρgh implies. At the free surface, the pressure is equal to atmospheric and increases as the depth of the water.

atat1tata said:
All of the textbooks I know of pay attention to the gravitational pressure gradient when it matters (examples: hydro plant, open pumping system) and ignore it when it doesn't (examples: closed pumping system, pressurized air system). So that's the general answer to your query: they ignore it when it doesn't matter.

Do you have any actual examples we can discuss, because I think either your memory or understanding is failing you. In particular, one common bucket of water problem is "how far does water shoot sideways out of this hole in this bucket?" and obviously you need pressure due to gravity to solve it.

In the case of chemical reaction in a bucket (where you are using the Gibbs free energy to determine the equilibrium constant), the effects of hydrostatic pressure variations are typically negligible compared to the atmospheric pressure. Check it out for yourself to see how much the pressure varies compared to 1 atm. But, if you really want to, you can take the pressure variation into account.

Chet

1. What is the relationship between pressure and temperature in thermodynamic systems?

The relationship between pressure and temperature in thermodynamic systems is given by the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles, and inversely proportional to its volume. This relationship can be expressed as P = nRT/V, where P is pressure, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume.

2. How does gravity affect pressure in a system?

In a system with gravity, the pressure at any given point is determined by the weight of the fluid above that point, as well as the density of the fluid. This is known as hydrostatic pressure. As the depth or height of the fluid increases, the weight and therefore the pressure also increases. This is why pressure is greater at the bottom of a water tank compared to the top.

3. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure at a given point, including both atmospheric pressure and the pressure exerted by the weight of the fluid. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, is the difference between the absolute pressure and the local atmospheric pressure. This means that gauge pressure can be negative if the absolute pressure is less than atmospheric pressure.

4. How does pressure affect the boiling point of a substance?

Generally, as pressure increases, the boiling point of a substance also increases. This is because an increase in pressure also increases the force required to overcome the intermolecular forces holding the molecules of the substance together. However, this relationship can be affected by other factors such as the strength of the intermolecular forces and the temperature at which the substance is heated.

5. How can pressure be used to determine the state of a thermodynamic system?

In thermodynamics, the state of a system can be described by properties such as pressure, temperature, and volume. By measuring and manipulating the pressure of a system, it is possible to determine its state and how it will respond to changes. For example, the behavior of gases can be described using the ideal gas law, which relates pressure, volume, and temperature at a given state.