Pressure should decrease in zero gravity?

In summary: This sounds interesting. With gravity switched on, using statistical mechanics, what do you get for the pressure at the top of the container, the pressure at the bottom of the container, and the average pressure (in terms of A, M, n, h, g, R, and T)?In summary, In summary, the pressure in the container is not uniform under gravity. The effect is small but in large containers (ie the atmosphere) the effect is quite obvious.
Ravi Singh choudhary
Pressure can exist in a container of gas even if there is no gravity. From kinetic theory of gases it is assumed that pressure exists due to momentum transfer between molecules and the wall. Suppose I have a closed container on Earth at sea level filled with air. Now I carried it to zero gravity facility. I maintained all other thermodynamic parameter like volume and temperature. Now pressure should decrease as gravitational force is not pulling individual gas molecules. Therefore there should be less momentum of particles so the pressure. Please just give me insight to my thought whether I am current or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Under gravity, the pressure in the container is not uniform... usually the effect is small but in large containers (ie the atmosphere) the effect is quite obvious.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
I agree with @Simon Bridge. The average pressure should be the same. The difference will only be the vertical pressure gradient.

Why don't you just model it and figure it out yourself? Let n be the number of moles in the container and M be the molecular weight. Let's see your analysis.

Likes Simon Bridge
Chestermiller said:
Why don't you just model it and figure it out yourself? Let n be the number of moles in the container and M be the molecular weight. Let's see your analysis.

Total mass is always nM, now when container is influenced by gravity some molecules will drift downward and localised higher density region is created opposite what we had uniform density region. Now more number of collisions is there in the downward region while less number of collisions in upward region. So average pressure remains same but molecules are just redistributed in gravity.

Likes Dale
Ravi Singh choudhary said:
Total mass is always nM, now when container is influenced by gravity some molecules will drift downward and localised higher density region is created opposite what we had uniform density region. Now more number of collisions is there in the downward region while less number of collisions in upward region. So average pressure remains same but molecules are just redistributed in gravity.
I meant to analyze the problem quantitatively. Assume you have a vertical cylinder of cross sectional area A and height h.

This is most simply solved by statistical mechanics. Just write down the Boltzmann distribution!

vanhees71 said:
This is most simply solved by statistical mechanics. Just write down the Boltzmann distribution!
This sounds interesting. With gravity switched on, using statistical mechanics, what do you get for the pressure at the top of the container, the pressure at the bottom of the container, and the average pressure (in terms of A, M, n, h, g, R, and T)?

1. Why does pressure decrease in zero gravity?

The decrease in pressure in zero gravity is due to the absence of a gravitational force. In a gravitational field, the weight of a fluid column creates pressure at the bottom, which decreases as you move up. In zero gravity, there is no weight to create this pressure, resulting in a decrease.

2. How does zero gravity affect the human body's perception of pressure?

In zero gravity, the human body does not experience the same sensation of pressure as it does on Earth. This is because there is no gravitational force pushing down on the body, so there is no weight pushing against the body's internal fluids. As a result, the body does not feel the same amount of pressure as it does on Earth.

3. Does pressure decrease in all directions in zero gravity?

Yes, pressure decreases in all directions in zero gravity. This is because there is no gravitational force pulling the fluid down, so it is not being compressed in any direction. Without any external forces acting on it, the fluid will expand freely, resulting in a decrease in pressure in all directions.

4. How does pressure change in a closed container in zero gravity?

In a closed container, the pressure will decrease in zero gravity as the fluid expands. However, if the container is rigid and does not allow the fluid to expand, the pressure will remain constant. This is because the fluid is still being compressed by its own weight, even without the presence of gravity.

5. Can pressure increase in zero gravity?

In most cases, pressure will decrease in zero gravity due to the absence of a gravitational force. However, if there are other forces acting on the fluid, such as centrifugal force, then pressure can increase. For example, in a centrifuge, the centrifugal force can cause the fluid to move outward, resulting in an increase in pressure towards the outside of the container.