Previous Calculus AB AP test question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a previous Calculus AP test involving the velocity of a rocket launched upward. The question asks for an explanation of the integral of velocity from 10 to 70 and for a midpoint Riemann sum approximation. The individual working on the problem expresses difficulty and shares their attempt at a solution. The concept of velocity as the derivative of position and the meaning of integrating velocity over a period of time are also discussed.
CRW1688

Homework Statement

t 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80
v(t) 5 14 22 29 35 40 44 47 49

This problem is from a previous Calculus AP test. I have completed parts (a) and (c), but (b) is giving me trouble, so I will leave parts (a) and (c) off.

Rocket A has positive velocity v(t) after being launched upward from an initial height of 0 feet at time t=0 seconds. The velocity of the rocket is recorded for selected values of t over the time interval 0 <= t <= 80 seconds, as shown in the table above.

Using correct units, explain the meaning of the integral of v(t) dt from 10 to 70. Use a midpoint Riemann sum with three subintervals of equal length to approximate the integral of v(t) dt form 10 to 70.

2. The attempt at a solution

The teacher took away our books, and we're not supposed to use calculators. My Riemann sum memory is a little weak, but I worked the second part of the question to the best of my ability, using three Riemann sums, one from 10 to 30 with midpoint 20, one from 30 to 50 with midpoint 40, and one from 50 to 70 with midpoint 60.

I found the area of the rectangles created by the intervals by calculating the width * the height at the midpoint, thus leaving me with:

M3=20(22) + 20(35) + 20(44) = 2020

I may still be way off base, as I can't look up how to do Riemann sums in the book (I could look online, but I want to see if I'm on the right track first).

The first part of the question, the "explain the meaning" part, is mostly what I don't get. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
velocity is the derivative of position.. i.e.
[tex]v(t)=\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

so, when you integrate the velocity you get
[tex]\int_a^b v(t)dt=\int_a^b \frac{dx}{dt}dt=\int_a^bdx=x(t)|_a^b[/tex]

In other words, when you take the integral of the velocity over a period of time you are essentially solving for the total distance traveled over that period of time.

what year was this question asked?

1. What is the format of the Previous Calculus AB AP test?

The Previous Calculus AB AP test consists of two sections: multiple-choice and free-response. The multiple-choice section contains 45 questions and the free-response section contains 6 questions.

2. How long is the Previous Calculus AB AP test?

The test is approximately 3 hours and 15 minutes long. The multiple-choice section is 1 hour and 45 minutes, and the free-response section is 1 hour and 30 minutes.

3. What topics are covered on the Previous Calculus AB AP test?

The test covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and series.

4. Are calculators allowed on the Previous Calculus AB AP test?

Yes, graphing calculators are allowed on the test. However, there are restrictions on the types of functions and programs that can be used.

5. How is the Previous Calculus AB AP test scored?

The multiple-choice section is scored by a computer and the free-response section is scored by trained AP Calculus teachers. Each section is worth 50% of the final score. The scores range from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest score.