Previous Research experience and contribution essay

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of writing an 1800-character essay to describe previous research experience and contributions for a GRF application. The speaker suggests writing a complete answer first and then selectively editing out less important details to meet the length limit. They also mention including skills and long-term educational and career goals in their response.
Ashley1nOnly
I'm trying to write an 1800 character (including spaces) essay that describes my previous research experience and contribution. I'm using a GRF previous research experience document as a guide line but I think it's impossible to include all of that into 1800 characters. I have provided a link for the document below. Is there anything in this document that I can exlcude? The question for the application was Explain your research experience and personal contribution to research projects.

GRF previous research experience document
http://grfpessayinsights.missouri.edu/describe-previous-research.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd write your answer first, trying to be as complete as possible without regard for the length limit. Then I'd edit it down to the length limit selectively editing out the less important details until you reach the limit. I've mentored lots of students on lots of applications, and this approach always produces a better result than trying to only include the most important details in the first draft.

How long should my my answer be for this question?

"Describe you long term educational goals"
I have one sentence
I basically stated that I see myself earning my Ph.D. in physics while developing skills (I listed three I thought were important)
"Describe your long term career goals"
I have one sentence.
I basically stated that I see myself working in a national laboratory, academic institution or in the industry upon graduation.

1. What is the purpose of the "Previous Research experience and contribution essay"?

The purpose of this essay is to showcase your past research experiences and contributions in order to demonstrate your skills, knowledge, and potential as a researcher.

2. What should be included in the essay?

The essay should include a summary of your previous research projects, your role and responsibilities in those projects, any relevant publications or presentations, and an explanation of how your research has contributed to the field.

3. How should the essay be structured?

The essay should have a clear introduction that provides background information and sets the context for your research experience. The body of the essay should be organized chronologically or thematically, depending on what makes the most sense for your experiences. Finally, the essay should have a conclusion that summarizes your key contributions and highlights their significance.

4. Are there any specific formatting or length requirements for the essay?

Formatting and length requirements may vary depending on the institution or program you are applying to. It is important to carefully read and follow the guidelines provided for the essay. Generally, the essay should be concise and well-structured, and should not exceed 2-3 pages in length.

5. How can I make my essay stand out?

To make your essay stand out, be sure to highlight your specific contributions and their impact. Use concrete examples and data to support your claims. Additionally, make sure to showcase your passion and enthusiasm for research, and how your past experiences have prepared you for future research endeavors.