Are There Prime Factors of the Same Form for Integers of Form 3n+2?

• Thread starter ComputerGeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Prime
In summary, the prime factorization of integers in the form 3n+2 can be either even or odd depending on what class n falls into. For example, even integers have a prime factor of 2, while odd integers have a prime factor of 3. However, when trying to find a prime factor of 3n+2 using this method, I ran into a contradiction. The prime factorization of an even number is 2, but the prime factorization of an odd number is 3. Therefore, I think there must be another factor of the form 3n+1 or 3n+2 that is necessary for a prime factor of 3n+2.
ComputerGeek
Any help would be appreciated. I need to show that for all integers of the form [tex]3n+2[/tex] there is a prime factor of the same form.

I know that integers of this form can be either even or odd depending on what class n falls into, so I thought a logical starting point would be to plug in [tex]2n[/tex] and [tex]2n+1[/tex]

that did not work out so well because 2n gave me factors of 2 and [tex] 3n + 1[/tex]

I then tried it with the [tex]4n+X[/tex] class of numbers and achieved similar results.

what am I missing here?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a proof by contradiction.

when you get that, try showing there is an infinite number of primes of form 3n+2.

shmoe said:
Try a proof by contradiction.
would that just prove the existence of an integer of the form 3n+2 with a prime factor 3n+2?

ComputerGeek said:
would that just prove the existence of an integer of the form 3n+2 with a prime factor 3n+2?

No, start with any integer of the form 3n+2. Assume it has no prime factors of the form 3m+2. Come to a contradiction.

I think I figured out a way:

let [tex] 3n+2[/tex] be prime

then just multiply it with [tex] 3n, 3n+1, 3n+2[/tex]

this shows that only numbers with a second factor(not necessarily a prime factor) of the form [tex]3n+1[/tex] or [tex]3n+2[/tex] has a prime factor of [tex]3n+2[/tex]

it is an exhaustion proof, but with such few considerations it is not to much work.

ComputerGeek said:
this shows that only numbers with a second factor(not necessarily a prime factor) of the form [tex]3n+1[/tex] or [tex]3n+2[/tex] has a prime factor of [tex]3n+2[/tex]

This isn't true. A number with a prime factor of the form 3n+2 doesn't have to have another factor of the form 3m+2 or one of 3m+1 either (15 is a counter example).

Did you try assuming that 3n+2 has no prime divisors of the form 3m+2? For another hint in this direction, what do you get when you multiply primes of the form 3k+1 together?

As an aside, I don't suppose you've learned modular arithmetic yet? Not necessary but it makes the language much nicer.

shmoe said:
As an aside, I don't suppose you've learned modular arithmetic yet? Not necessary but it makes the language much nicer.

so, say mod 3 when talking about numbers in the form 3n+x

1. What is a prime factor of the same form?

A prime factor of the same form is a factor that is both a prime number and has the same form as the original number. This means that the prime factor has the same digits and in the same order as the original number.

2. How do you find the prime factors of the same form?

To find the prime factors of the same form, you can use the prime factorization method. This involves breaking down the original number into its prime factors and then checking if any of the factors have the same form as the original number.

3. Can there be more than one prime factor of the same form for a number?

Yes, there can be multiple prime factors of the same form for a number. For example, the number 126 has two prime factors of the same form: 21 and 42.

4. Is there any significance to prime factors of the same form?

Yes, prime factors of the same form can be useful in cryptography and number theory. They can also help in identifying patterns and relationships between numbers.

5. How are prime factors of the same form different from regular prime factors?

Prime factors of the same form are different because they have an additional requirement of having the same form as the original number. Regular prime factors do not have this requirement and can be any prime number that is a factor of the original number.