1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principles of projectile motion and kinematics homework

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You throw a ball toward a wall at speed 32.0 m/s and at angle θ0 = 38.0° above the horizontal (Fig. 4-35). The wall is distance d = 15.0 m from the release point of the ball. (a) How far above the release point does the ball hit the wall? What are the (b) horizontal and (c) vertical components of its velocity as it hits the wall?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part B, I got 25.22 m/s..
    When I put in part C as 19.7, which is what i thought it was, it said it's wrong.
    What should I do from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Trajectory

While the horizontal velocity remains constant, the vertical velocity changes as the ball moves. You need to know what time the ball hits the wall in order to find the vertical component of velocity.

Solve the problem step by step using the principles of projectile motion and kinematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook