Printer/Server Compatibility Woes

• Thread starter MikeeMiracle
  • Start date
In summary: The summary is that the hardware resource requirements have not changed much since Windows 7, if your PC can run Windows 7 then it almost certainy can run Windows 10 also. However, moving from Win7 to Win10 can be difficult because some peripherals no longer work and it's a good idea to re-install from scratch every few years.
MikeeMiracle
Computer hardware rarely has bugs, it's the software that is the problem. Keeping an OS for too long usually means it picks up inconstancy's from the amount of software you install onto it and the general use. Thus it's agood idea to re-install from scratch every few years.

The hardware resource requirements have not changed much since Windows 7, if your PC can run Windows 7 then it almost certainy can run Windows 10 also.

As for computers being old hat, they are still the primary computing device we have that everything works with. Things like phones and tablets are companion devices but cannot yet run full versions of PC applications. Apple and Android have come a long way in this regard the past 4/5 years but they are still limited. I have lost count the number of times I have had to get the Mrs to do something on my computer because its doesn't work properly on her tablet.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is there a question in there somewhere or did you just need to get that off your chest?

The main problem in moving from Win7 to Win10 is that peripherals no longer work because vendors drop support for them. For examples, I have a low end printer and a very expensive scanner, neither of which can be made to work with Win10 because there are no drivers that will work with both the printer/scanner and Win10.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Tom.G
Hmm...that was posted as a responce to another thread, unsure how it ended up as a new post.

MikeeMiracle said:
Hmm...that was posted as a responce to another thread, unsure how it ended up as a new post.
My fault. We had a report saying that it really didn't belong in the other thread, so I split it out as a new thread.

phinds said:
Is there a question in there somewhere or did you just need to get that off your chest?

The main problem in moving from Win7 to Win10 is that peripherals no longer work because vendors drop support for them. For examples, I have a low end printer and a very expensive scanner, neither of which can be made to work with Win10 because there are no drivers that will work with both the printer/scanner and Win10.
Could you present some specifics? I don't see why a single driver program would have to work with both, but perhaps you could install something that's compatible with your scanner, and specify a compatible printer that you don't actually have, and just leave the printer definition in an offline status.

sysprog said:
Could you present some specifics? I don't see why a single driver program would have to work with both, but perhaps you could install something that's compatible with your scanner, and specify a compatible printer that you don't actually have, and just leave the printer definition in an offline status.
My statement was condensed. There are no drivers for the printer that work with WIN10 and there are no drivers for the scanner that work with WIN10.

phinds said:
My statement was condensed. There are no drivers for the printer that work with WIN10 and there are no drivers for the scanner that work with WIN10.
Hmm. Can you please say the model numbers of the devices?

sysprog said:
Hmm. Can you please say the model numbers of the devices?
Already tossed both of them.

• Wow
Likes sysprog
phinds said:
Already tossed both of them.
Ouch. 🤔

Likes Tom.G
I feel for you. I had several gigabit quad-USB network servers, into which web-cams could be plugged for multiple view angles. Sorry, not compatible with Win'10...

Nik_2213 said:
I feel for you. I had several gigabit quad-USB network servers, into which web-cams could be plugged for multiple view angles. Sorry, not compatible with Win'10...
Do you still have them? ##-## can you post regarding the manufacturer, model number, and other relevant specs? ##-## and also regarding the Win' 10 machine? ##-## it may be possible to reconfigure or mediate an incompatible device set to make it compatible ##\dots##

2-of Maplin N01JZ 4-port USB Gigabit Network server. *Perhaps* Yes, Elite Silicon Technology Inc © 2010.

Hunted from box-room, dusted and un-packed.

Small black box has power/lan/usb lights. 4@USB ports. Power switch, tiny reset hole, DC 9V inlet and 10/100 port. 'Wall-wart' and mini-CD.
No version or serial apparent. Purchased mid-2011.

The driver disk info covers both an HD PC to TV & Network server (!) and USB network server, but no images are given for the device itself. USB's manual refers to a uNet E-2800 Serial Multiple Function Printer Server Controller using EST 'UNTP' proprietary 'USB over LAN' protocol.

So, I've just connected to spare router port, run IP scanner...
Ha ! That's new !
HP647566 192.168.0.2 Neostar Technology Co Ltd 00:24:32:01:FC:A5

Chrome browser opened...
Manufacturer: Generic Firmware V.2.027.000

Then I put my nearest 'disposable' thumb-drive into port and hit 'Restart Device'. It found the drive, but offered no access. Win'10 x64 Device Manager could not find anything like a networked USB Server. Upside, I know the widget isn't a total brick. Downside, unlike the version in the 'manual', there's no provision for firmware updates.

And, when, I googled for IST, I found they've evolved far, far beyond such 'domestic' widgets !
Ah, well...
Clipboard01.jpg

1. What is the main cause of printer/server compatibility issues?

The main cause of printer/server compatibility woes is outdated or incompatible printer drivers. These drivers act as the communication bridge between the printer and the server, and if they are not up-to-date or compatible, it can lead to compatibility issues.

2. How can I check if my printer and server are compatible?

You can check the compatibility of your printer and server by consulting the manufacturer's website or manual. They usually provide a list of compatible operating systems and server types. Alternatively, you can also contact the manufacturer's customer support for assistance.

3. Can I use a printer with a different server type?

In most cases, printers are designed to work with specific server types. However, some printers may have drivers that are compatible with multiple server types. It is best to consult the manufacturer for compatibility before attempting to use a printer with a different server type.

4. How do I update printer drivers for compatibility?

To update printer drivers for compatibility, you can either use the manufacturer's website to download the latest drivers or use the automatic update feature on your computer. It is important to regularly check for updates to ensure your printer drivers are compatible with your server.

5. What can I do if my printer and server are not compatible?

If your printer and server are not compatible, you can try using a different printer or server, or contact the manufacturer for assistance. In some cases, there may be compatibility patches or workarounds available to resolve the issue.