Probabilistic breakdown of quantum mechanics?

In summary, the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics does not break down as systems get larger, but rather it becomes less apparent due to decoherence. Decoherence explains the emergence of a classical world from quantum mechanical systems, but it does not fully answer the question of how a diagonal density matrix becomes a definite outcome. Researchers have proposed a measure to quantify macroscopic quantum superpositions, which takes into account both the degree of quantum coherence and the effective size of the physical system involved. This measure can be applied to any types of multipartite states and mixed states represented in phase space.
romsofia
When does the probabilistic nature of QM breakdown?

Is it just as a the system gets larger, it's less probabilistic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do note that decoherence is "for all practical purposes" (FAPP). In principle, at least according to QM, no transition to a classical world (i.e. definite state) occurs. We still have a measurement problem on our hands.

We need to wait and see the results of various experiments taking place, whereby putting a heavy mirror (I think 40kg) - definite a large mirror in size, so macroscopic, into a superposition of two distinct macroscopic states (in this case the observable position). There is a book reference I cannot find now, but there is notes on making clear that we are seeing distinct MACROSCOPIC states, conforming to certain (minimum) standards, as to ascert e.g. between a live and dead cat. I will try find it later, and if I can, will post it in this thread.

Do note, even though we find macroscopic superposition occurs, we still need to rule out macrorealism - even using the Leggett-Garg inequality, WITHOUT the use of coarse-grain measurements.

As I said:
tom.stoer said:
... decoherence which explains to some extent the emergence of a classical world ...

Suppose there's a spin 1/2 particle with with +1/2 and -1/2 states. Decoherence explains the emergence of a classical probability distribution 50% - 50% for +1/2 - -1/2, but it does not explain why a one-particle state collapses either to +1/2 or to -1/2

StevieTNZ said:
Do note that decoherence is "for all practical purposes" (FAPP). In principle, at least according to QM, no to a classical world (i.e. definite state) occurs. We still have a measurement problem on our hands.

We need to wait and see the results of various experiments place, whereby putting a (I think 40kg) - definite a large mirror in size, so macroscopic, into a superposition of two distinct macroscopic states (in this case the observable position). There is a book reference I cannot find now, but there is notes on making clear that we are seeing distinct MACROSCOPIC states, conforming to certain (minimum) standards, as to ascert e.g. between a live and dead cat. I will try find it later, and if I can, will post it in this thread.

Do note, even though we find macroscopic superposition occurs, we still need to rule out macrorealism - even using the Leggett-Garg inequality, WITHOUT the use of coarse-grain measurements.

right and more succintly;
how does a diagonal density matrix turn into a definite outcome.

decoherence does not answer that.

Last edited:
I must apology. Generally I am really good, but unfortunately I haven't time yet to look for the references to macrosopic distinct states. Only logging on here briefly, then onto other things.

a good parameters at:

Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 220401 (2011)
Quantification of Macroscopic Quantum Superpositions
http://prl..org/abstract/PRL/v106/i22/e220401

...we propose a novel measure to quantify macroscopic quantum superpositions. Our measure simultaneously quantifies two different kinds of essential information for a given quantum state in a harmonious manner: the degree of quantum coherence and the effective size of the physical system that involves the superposition. It enjoys remarkably good analytical and algebraic properties. It turns out to be the most general and inclusive measure ever proposed that it can be applied to any types of multipartite states and mixed states represented in phase space...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links, I've never heard of quantum decoherence (or if I have, I forgot).

I will study up on the links, and post any questions in this thread!

audioloop said:
a good parameters at:

Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 220401 (2011)
Quantification of Macroscopic Quantum Superpositions
http://prl..org/abstract/PRL/v106/i22/e220401

...we propose a novel measure to quantify macroscopic quantum superpositions. Our measure simultaneously quantifies two different kinds of essential information for a given quantum state in a harmonious manner: the degree of quantum coherence and the effective size of the physical system that involves the superposition. It enjoys remarkably good analytical and algebraic properties. It turns out to be the most general and inclusive measure ever proposed that it can be applied to any types of multipartite states and mixed states represented in phase space...

Yes thanks from me as well.

And I think this is the above (original link gave me problems):
Quantification of Macroscopic Quantum Superpositions within Phase Space
Chang-Woo Lee, Hyunseok Jeong
http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.1209

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the probabilistic breakdown of quantum mechanics?

The probabilistic breakdown of quantum mechanics refers to the idea that at the quantum level, particles and systems do not behave in a deterministic manner, but rather their behavior is described by probabilities. This means that it is impossible to predict the exact outcome of a quantum experiment, but we can calculate the likelihood of different outcomes.

2. What is the role of probability in quantum mechanics?

Probability plays a central role in quantum mechanics because it is used to describe the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, and their behavior is described by a wave function that assigns probabilities to each possible state.

3. How does the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the behavior of particles and systems is deterministic, meaning that their exact position and momentum can be predicted with complete certainty. In quantum mechanics, however, the behavior is probabilistic, and it is impossible to predict the exact outcome of a measurement.

4. What is the uncertainty principle in relation to the probabilistic breakdown of quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle, first proposed by Werner Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one property of a particle affects the other, and the more precisely one is measured, the less precisely the other can be known. This is a fundamental aspect of the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

5. How is the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics supported by experimental evidence?

There have been numerous experiments conducted that demonstrate the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. One of the most famous is the double-slit experiment, which shows that particles can behave as both waves and particles, and their behavior is described by probabilities. Other experiments, such as the Bell test, also support the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.