Probability and Random processes

In summary, probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur, represented as a number between 0 and 1. There are three main types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Independent events do not affect each other, while dependent events do. The law of large numbers states that as the number of trials increases, the results will approach the expected probabilities. A random process is a sequence of unpredictable events determined by chance and is used to model real-world phenomena.
persist911
I am a grad student of communication systems but earned a Bsc in physics . I am taking a module presently called Digital communication which require a lot of probability and random processes which I never did while in school.

Could anyone give me advice on how I can study for probablity and random processes as related to Digital Communications. good book recommendations or video lectures to get up to speed will bbe nice.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schaums Outlines on digital communications has 2 chapters on introductory probability and random signals.

What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating impossibility and 1 indicating certainty.

What are the different types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is determined through actual experiments and observations. Subjective probability is based on personal judgments and opinions.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other, meaning the outcome of one event does not influence the outcome of the other. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events where the outcome of one event does depend on the outcome of the other.

What is the law of large numbers?

The law of large numbers states that as the number of trials in a probability experiment increases, the relative frequency of a specific outcome will approach its theoretical probability. In other words, the more times an experiment is repeated, the closer the results will be to the expected probabilities.

What is a random process?

A random process is a sequence of events that is unpredictable, and the outcome of each event is determined by chance. It is often used to model real-world phenomena that involve randomness, such as stock prices, weather patterns, and genetic mutations.