Integral transforms of random processes

In summary, the covariance of two random variables is not always zero, depending on the variance of the real and imaginary parts of the variables.
mnb96
Hello,

I considered a statistically independent continuous random process f(x) such that Cov(f(x),f(y))=0 for x[itex]\neq[/itex]y and Cov(f(x),f(x))=σ2.
Then I would like to compute the correlation function of the Fourier transform of f, that is [itex]Cov\left( F(u),F(v)\right)[/itex].

The result I got from my calculations is that [itex]Cov\left( F(u),F(v)\right)=0[/itex] when u[itex]\neq[/itex]v, and [itex]Cov\left( F(u),F(u)\right)=\sigma^2[/itex].
So again, also the Fourier transform of f is supposed to be statistically independent.

At first I thought that this makes sense, but then I started to wonder why F(u) and F(-u) are supposed to be uncorrelated? We know that F(u)=F(-u)*, so the negative frequencies theoretically depend fully on the positive frequencies (they are actually redundant as one is the complex conjugate of the other).

How should I interpret this result? Is it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you calculations are wrong, but, as a generality, two random variables can be completely dependent and still have zero correlation. Roughly speaking, correlation has to do with the ability to use one to do a linear prediction of the other. The implication that does hold is: independence implies zero correlation, not the converse.

Instead of two random variables, you are dealing with stochastic processes, which are indexed collections of random variables. So we would have to examine the definition of covariance in that context to see if the above fact explains your result.

Hi Stephen!

thanks for your help.
I checked my calculations, and I can't seem to spot any mistake.
I believe that in my case the problem can be reduced in interpreting the following (simpler) question:

- given a complex random variable x, what is [itex]Cov\left( x , x^{\ast} \right)[/itex] ? where x* denotes the complex conjugate of x.

Unless I haven't done any mistake, it turns out that if both real and imaginary parts of x have the same variance, then Cov(x,x*) = 0. If the variances of the real and imaginary part are different then the covariance is not zero.

I think I must interpret somehow this statement to answer the original question.

1. What is an integral transform of a random process?

An integral transform of a random process is a mathematical operation that transforms a random process into another representation, typically in the frequency domain. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of random processes, and is an important tool in fields such as signal processing and statistics.

2. How is an integral transform of a random process different from a Fourier transform?

An integral transform of a random process is a more general concept than a Fourier transform. While a Fourier transform is specifically used to analyze signals that are periodic or aperiodic, an integral transform can be applied to any type of random process. Additionally, an integral transform can have different parameters and weight functions, making it a more versatile tool for analyzing random processes.

3. What are some common types of integral transforms used in random process analysis?

Some of the most commonly used integral transforms in random process analysis include Laplace transforms, Z-transforms, and Mellin transforms. These transforms have different applications and properties, and are chosen based on the specific problem at hand.

4. Can integral transforms be used to analyze non-stationary random processes?

Yes, integral transforms can be applied to both stationary and non-stationary random processes. However, for non-stationary processes, the transform may need to be adapted to account for time-varying characteristics.

5. How are integral transforms used in practical applications?

Integral transforms are used in a wide range of practical applications, such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. They can be used to filter noisy signals, extract important features from data, and model complex systems. In addition, they are also used in fields such as finance and economics to analyze and model random processes in these domains.