1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability and Statistics Question

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's problem 1. (b) in the attachment. I need help finding the average number of records.

Note: Obviously, I'm not actually in the class. I just got bored and started going through the course assignments

2. Relevant equations

From the first part of the question, I know that:

[tex] P_n= \frac {1}{n} [/tex]

I also know that if f(n) is the probability of there being n records, then:

[tex] <S_N> = \sum_{n=1}^{N} f(n)n [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the answer is supposed to be:

[tex] <S_N>=\sum_{n=1}^{N} P_n [/tex]

I'm not sure how to derive this. I know that I need to find f(n) first, but all the ways I can think of finding it are extremely complicated. I think finding <S_n> is supposed to be easy, since in the solutions the answer is written down without any explanation.

Attached Files:

• ps2.pdf
      ps2.pdf
      File size:
      119 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #2
    Never mind, I figured it out.

4. Jan 1, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just the definition of an expectation value. You have a probability of 1/n of getting 1 record in each of N trials. Total expectation is the sum 1*(1/n). You definitely don't want to try and break it down like that. Finding f(n) IS complicated.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook