Probability Density (and computing constant K)

In summary, the random variable X has a probability density of f(x) = ke(-|x|), and the constant k can be found by integrating the function and using the properties of a probability density function. However, the integration must be done in two cases, for x < 0 and x > 0, to find the correct value of k. To find the probability density of Y=X2, further steps and analysis are needed.
Predz

Homework Statement

The random variable X has the probability density f(x) defined by:

f(x) = ke(-|x|)

Compute the constant k, then find the probability density of Y=X2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stumped by this question. I know I need to integrate ke(-|x|) to find k, but after I integrate, what values do I replace x by to find k? I also have no idea what to do for the probability density part...

Any tips are welcomed. Please help. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
So I worked out the integration part by myself. When I integrated ke(-|x|), I got -ke(-|x|). To find k, I substituted x by 0 and -[tex]\infty[/tex]. I worked it out and I found out that k=-1. I'm not sure I did this right though...

What conditions does a function need to satisfy in order to be a probability density function? Hint: There are two of them, one is that f(x)>=0, but it is the the second condition that will help you find your answer.

LPerrott said:
What conditions does a function need to satisfy in order to be a probability density function? Hint: There are two of them, one is that f(x)>=0, but it is the the second condition that will help you find your answer.

Is it negative infinity? See the post above yours.

No. You need to look up the properties of a probability density function. Simply integrating the prob dens function isn't enough to find the value of k. If I want k = __ , then I need to start off with an equation integral of (___) = ___

LPerrott said:
No. You need to look up the properties of a probability density function. Simply integrating the prob dens function isn't enough to find the value of k. If I want k = __ , then I need to start off with an equation integral of (___) = ___

Has to be equal to 1.

So I integrated ke(-|x|) and got -ke(-|x|). Then I did -ke(-|x|) = 1 and replaced x by 0 and negative infinity. I solved and got k = -1. Is my integration correct? Was I right to replace x by 0 and negative infinity? Am I completely off?

I can tell you without even checking integration that is incorrect. k=-1 violates the first property of a prob density function ... mainly that f(x)>=0. Notice you have an absolute value of x in the function. This might be what's confusing you. Try solving the following equation for k

2k int(0 to infty)(e^-x dx) = 1

Sorry i don't know how to insert Latex into my reply. In words, you should use the equation 2 times k times the integral from 0 to infinity of e^-x equals 1

I re-did it again (this time using infinity and 0). This is exactly what I did:

[tex]\int[/tex]ke(-|x|)
k[tex]\int[/tex]e(-|x|)
=k[-e(-|x|)]

k[-e(-|infinity|) - (-e(-|0|)] = 1
k[0 - (-1)] = 1
k[0 +1] = 1
k = 1

Please tell me exactly WHERE I went wrong and how to fix it. Also, can you tell me how to start the probability density of y=x2?

Anyone?

I told you exactly how to do it. When integrating a probability density function you need to integrate from -infty to infty, but since you have absolute value of x this is a problem, therefore you you just integrate 2 times the integral from 0 to infty. k=1/2 As far as the next part of the question I'm not sure how to do it. It doesn't really make sense to me. Are you sure it isn't asking Y<=X^2 or Y>=X^2 ?

Predz said:
I re-did it again (this time using infinity and 0). This is exactly what I did:

[tex]\int[/tex]ke(-|x|)
k[tex]\int[/tex]e(-|x|)
=k[-e(-|x|)]

k[-e(-|infinity|) - (-e(-|0|)] = 1
k[0 - (-1)] = 1
k[0 +1] = 1
k = 1

Please tell me exactly WHERE I went wrong and how to fix it. Also, can you tell me how to start the probability density of y=x2?

Where you went wrong is that the antiderivative of e-|x| is not - e-|x| on (-∞,∞). You have to look at two cases, x < 0 and x > 0.

[Edit] On (0,∞) just use |x| = x so the above is OK. My comments apply to x < 0 in particular. Do it by replacing |x| with its value.

Last edited:

1. What is probability density?

Probability density is a concept in statistics that describes the likelihood of a continuous random variable taking on a specific value. It is represented by a probability density function (PDF) and is used to calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values.

2. How is probability density different from probability?

Probability density is different from probability in that it is used to describe the likelihood of a continuous random variable taking on a specific value, while probability is used to describe the likelihood of an event occurring. Probability is represented by a probability mass function (PMF) for discrete random variables and a probability distribution function (CDF) for continuous random variables.

3. What is the formula for computing the constant K in probability density?

The formula for computing the constant K in probability density is K = 1 / (b-a), where a and b represent the lower and upper bounds of the random variable's range. This constant ensures that the total area under the probability density function is equal to 1, representing a probability of 100% for all possible outcomes.

4. How do you interpret the value of K in probability density?

The value of K in probability density can be interpreted as the scaling factor for the probability density function. A larger value of K indicates a higher probability density, while a smaller value of K indicates a lower probability density. It is important to note that the value of K does not affect the shape of the probability density function, only its magnitude.

5. How is probability density used in real-world applications?

Probability density is used in various real-world applications, such as in finance, engineering, and physics, to model and analyze continuous random variables. It can be used to calculate the probability of a stock price reaching a certain level, the likelihood of a machine part failing at a specific time, or the chance of a particle moving within a certain range of velocities, among other things.