Probability Density: Battery Life Homework

In summary, the lifespan of a certain brand of battery is normally distributed with a mean of 4 years and a standard deviation of 1.2 years. When selecting a battery at random, there is a 45% chance it will last for more than 6 years. To replace at most 5% of all batteries sold, the warranty period should be 2 years.
kukumaluboy

Homework Statement

c. The life of a certain brand of battery is normally distributed with a mean of 4 years and a
standard deviation of 1. 2 years.
i. If a battery is selected at random, what is the probability that it will last for more than 6
years? (5 marks)
ii. How long a warranty period should the manufacturer provide if he is willing to replace
at most 5% of all the batteries sold? (5 marks)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (i) i can do. Part (ii) dun understand. 5% of all batteries sold? how many are they?

Physics news on Phys.org
so a single battery hsould have a 95% probabilty of lasting the warranty period

24fdaid.jpg

So should we do (b - a) in years ?

i would look at the cumulative distribution & pick of the time at 5%

as your pdf is defined in years, I would find the answer in years

I tried working from the answer, the Z value have to be -1.65

ok so in that table you want to find when the probabilty is 0.45 (the othe side of the curve will give you 0.5 probabiliy as it is symmetric)

so reading off P = 0.45, at z=1.65

so 95% of the batteries will have a life greater than
= Mean - 1.65 x SD
= 4yrs - 1.65x1.2 = 4-2.3 = 1.7

which is pretty close to 2

What is probability density?

Probability density is a measure of the likelihood of a random variable falling within a particular range of values. It is often represented by a curve on a graph, with the area under the curve representing the probability of the variable falling within that range.

How is probability density used in battery life homework?

In battery life homework, probability density is used to calculate the likelihood of a battery lasting a certain amount of time. By analyzing the probability density curve of a battery's life, we can estimate the chances of it lasting a certain amount of time and make informed decisions about battery usage.

What factors can affect the probability density of battery life?

There are several factors that can affect the probability density of battery life, including the type and quality of the battery, the device it is used in, and external environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. These factors can impact the overall lifespan and reliability of a battery.

How can probability density be calculated for battery life?

The probability density of battery life can be calculated by using statistical methods such as the Weibull distribution, which takes into account the failure rate of batteries over time. It can also be calculated by collecting data on battery life and analyzing it using mathematical formulas.

What are some real-life applications of probability density in battery life?

Probability density in battery life has many real-life applications, including predicting the longevity of batteries in various devices, optimizing battery usage for maximum efficiency, and determining the best battery options for a specific application. It is also used in battery testing and quality control to ensure that products meet certain standards and expectations.