1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability density expected values

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Bearing capacity of soil varies between 6 and 15 kips/sq.ft. If probability density within this range is given as
    f(x)=1/2.7 * (1- x/15), 6 ≤ u ≤ 15
    =0 otherwise

Find E(X) and E(X^2)

2. Relevant equations
    E(x) should be ∫x*f(x) dx
    E(x^2) should be ∫x^2*f(x) dx

3. The attempt at a solution

E(x) ends up being 9 when I plug it in, but the answer sheet says either 9.55 or 9 * 55 (his decimals can look like multiplication dots)

E(x^2) ends up being 85.5, but the answer sheet says either 230.81 or 230 * 81.

I feel like it should be the * ones, because 9 and 81 are part of them, but I have no clue why, unless my equations are wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... what is "u" in there?
    Do you mean:
    $$f(x)=\frac{1}{2.7}\left (1-\frac{x}{15}\right )\; :\; 6\leq x \leq 16$$... then
    $$E[X]=\frac{1}{243}\int_6^{15} (90x-6x^2)dx$$... sure enough - unless this is something funny in the course.

Probably you've just made a mistake someplace - or the answer sheet could be wrong.
    Double check.

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    So are you saying the answer should be 9, and the answer sheet is wrong? Then what about E[x^2], is that 81 or is it 85.5 by doing a similar integral just with x^2 instead of x?

5. May 2, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get EX = 9 and EX^2 = 85.5.

6. May 3, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Either the question is not what we think it is or the answer sheet is wrong.
    I don't want to be definitive about this because I am not there and not the one doing the course.
    You should check with someone else doing the course and ask the person who made the answer sheet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted