1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability (density function)

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    A point is selected at random and uniformly from the region

R = {(x,y): |x| + |y| <= 1 }

Find the probability density function of the x-coordinate of the point selected at random.

By definition f(x) = the integral of f(x,y) over all y values.

after this I'm pretty much stuck. does f(x,y) = 1/4? I mean the definition is simple I think it's just me not knowing how to deal with the modulus signs.

(Is the region a square(diamond) intersecting at (0,1)(1,0)(-1,0)(0,-1))

Any help always appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2
    Your diamond is right. You are right that [tex]f_{XY}(x,y)[/tex] is constant, but you have the wrong constant, because the area of that diamond is not 4.

You could split the diamond into two halves, the case where x>0 and the case where x<0. Then you can obtain equations for the boundary lines without using absolute value. Your [tex]f_X(x)[/tex] could then be piecewise defined.

When you are done, you could try to combine the piecewise defined [tex]f_X(x)[/tex] into one formula using absolute value, if you want, or simply leave it piecewise defined.

4. May 11, 2009 #3
    f(x,y) = 1 (was looking at the diamond thinking it had side lengths of 2 :S, hope this is right now)

as for the integrals im still having trouble...

for x > 0

f(x) = integral(from x-1 to -x+1) of 1 dy

for x < 0

f(x) = integral(from -x-1 to x+1) of 1 dy

are these even remotely correct?

I end up with 2-2x for x>0
    and 2+2x for x<0

which if i combined them i get 2(1-|x|)

the answer in the book is just 1-1|x|.... when i combine them do i drop the 2 :P

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. May 11, 2009 #4
    Your f(x,y) is still wrong. What is the area of that diamond? When you fix it, you will get what they got.

6. May 12, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the help Billy! Once i fixed up f(x,y) (dont ask me why it took me so long to realize that the area wasn't 1 :S) it all worked out!

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook