Probability (density function)

In summary, the probability density function of the x-coordinate of a point selected at random from the region R = {(x,y): |x| + |y| <= 1} is 1-|x|, where x is between -1 and 1. The region is a diamond with side lengths of 2, and the function for the boundary lines can be simplified to 1-|x|. The final formula for f_X(x) is 2(1-|x|).
forty
A point is selected at random and uniformly from the region

R = {(x,y): |x| + |y| <= 1 }

Find the probability density function of the x-coordinate of the point selected at random.

By definition f(x) = the integral of f(x,y) over all y values.

after this I'm pretty much stuck. does f(x,y) = 1/4? I mean the definition is simple I think it's just me not knowing how to deal with the modulus signs.

(Is the region a square(diamond) intersecting at (0,1)(1,0)(-1,0)(0,-1))

Any help always appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diamond is right. You are right that [tex]f_{XY}(x,y)[/tex] is constant, but you have the wrong constant, because the area of that diamond is not 4.

You could split the diamond into two halves, the case where x>0 and the case where x<0. Then you can obtain equations for the boundary lines without using absolute value. Your [tex]f_X(x)[/tex] could then be piecewise defined.

When you are done, you could try to combine the piecewise defined [tex]f_X(x)[/tex] into one formula using absolute value, if you want, or simply leave it piecewise defined.

f(x,y) = 1 (was looking at the diamond thinking it had side lengths of 2 :S, hope this is right now)

as for the integrals I am still having trouble...

for x > 0

f(x) = integral(from x-1 to -x+1) of 1 dyfor x < 0

f(x) = integral(from -x-1 to x+1) of 1 dy

are these even remotely correct?

I end up with 2-2x for x>0
and 2+2x for x<0

which if i combined them i get 2(1-|x|)

the answer in the book is just 1-1|x|... when i combine them do i drop the 2 :P

Last edited:
Your f(x,y) is still wrong. What is the area of that diamond? When you fix it, you will get what they got.

Thanks for the help Billy! Once i fixed up f(x,y) (dont ask me why it took me so long to realize that the area wasn't 1 :S) it all worked out!

Thanks again!

What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a random variable taking on a particular value. It is used to model continuous random variables and its integral over a given interval gives the probability of the variable falling within that interval.

How is a probability density function different from a probability mass function?

A probability density function (PDF) is used to model continuous random variables, while a probability mass function (PMF) is used to model discrete random variables. The main difference between the two is that the PDF gives the probability of a variable falling within a certain range of values, while the PMF gives the probability of the variable taking on a specific value.

What is the area under a probability density function?

The area under a probability density function (PDF) represents the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values. This area is always equal to 1, as the total probability of all possible outcomes must be equal to 1.

How is a probability density function used in statistics?

In statistics, a probability density function (PDF) is used to describe the distribution of a continuous random variable. It is used to calculate the probability of a variable falling within a certain range of values, as well as to find the mean, standard deviation, and other important measures of the variable's distribution.

What are some common probability density functions?

Some common probability density functions (PDFs) include the normal distribution, uniform distribution, exponential distribution, and beta distribution. These PDFs are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena and are an essential tool in statistical analysis and data modeling.