1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability distribution questions

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. If X, Y, and Z have uniforj density of 1 on unit cube, then find P(X+Y+Z<1)
    2. X1, X2, and X3 are independent and normal. Find distribution of Y=(X1^2+X2^2+X3^2)^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I set up a triple integral, but I'm not sure if I got the limits right... P(X+Y+Z<1)=int from 0 to 1, int from y to 1-x, and int from z to 1-x-y... Then I integrated it, but I'm left with the variable z in the answer, which I think is wrong.

2. really not sure

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

1. Are you integrating z from z to 1-x-y? This doesn't make sense, does it? If x and y are fixed, the maximum value of z is indeed 1-x-y; what is the minimum value of z?

2. Try something simpler. If x is independent and normal, what is the distribution of y=x^2?

4. Oct 23, 2007 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. Easier to visualize the region over which X+Y+Z<1 (in addition to X, Y, Z all being > 0). The ratio of the region to the volume of the unit cube is the answer.

2. You could start by finding the dist. of Y^2=X1^2+X2^2+X3^2. Which distribution describes the sum of squared normal variables?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?