Probability - Getting joint distribution?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the joint distribution of two independent and identically distributed variables, X1 and X2, as well as using the joint distribution to calculate the bivariate normal distribution. The conversation mentions using the formula Fx1,x2(x1,x2) = Fx1(x1) * Fx2(x2) for the joint CDF, as well as differentiating the joint PDF to find Fx1(x1). The conversation also mentions the use of a change of variable and the Jacobian for calculating the bivariate normal distribution.
Kuma

Homework Statement

I have 2 variables that are both i.i.d. X1 and X2.
i.i.d means they both have the same distribution and are independent of each other.

My question is, how do i get the joint distribution:
Fx1,x2(x1,x2) of these variables??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
What other information do you have.

Indepence tells you that

Fx1,x2(x1,x2) = Fx1(x1) * Fx2(x2)

So the joint CDF is the product of the marginal CDF's.Do you have the joint PMF or PDF ?

Actually I was just generalizing an assignment question, i needed this to start the question entirely. x1,x2 are both N~(0,1).

Thanks for your answer!

I am not familiar with the notation N~(0,1).

I assume you mean normal distributions with mean of 0 and variance of 1.

You can find the formula for the joint PDF and then find the marginal PDF for x1 and then differentiate to get Fx1(x1).

yes that's what i meant, normal with mean 0 with variance 1.

Well get your joint pdf and then differentiate it to get the CDF Fx1,x2(x1,x3)

Look for the formula for a bivariate Gaussian random variable.

p =0 [ since we have independence ]

Thanks for your help, but its not actually what my question is looking for. This is the question.

Untitled.png

Now i need to get Fz1,z2(z1, z2) so i could do a change of variable and use that formula with the jacobian to get the bivariate normal.
Kinda got stuck in some of the calculations though, I am not sure if I am doing it right. The change of Variable for my Y is quite large.

1. What is a joint distribution in probability?

A joint distribution in probability refers to the probability distribution of two or more random variables. It shows the probability of different combinations of values occurring for the variables simultaneously.

2. How is a joint distribution different from a marginal distribution?

A joint distribution considers the probabilities of multiple variables occurring together, while a marginal distribution focuses on the probability of a single variable occurring regardless of the other variables.

3. What is the relationship between joint distributions and conditional distributions?

Joint distributions and conditional distributions are related through the concept of conditional probability. Conditional distributions show the probability of one variable occurring given the occurrence of another variable, and can be derived from a joint distribution.

4. Can the joint distribution of two independent variables be simplified?

Yes, the joint distribution of two independent variables can be simplified to a product of their individual marginal distributions. This is known as the independence rule in probability.

5. How is a joint distribution used in data analysis?

A joint distribution is used in data analysis to understand the relationship between multiple variables. It can help identify patterns or correlations between variables and can be used to make predictions about future outcomes.