1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability - Independence Question

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to get the idea of independent events well grounded in my mind, but I'm having some difficulty.

First of all, what would a venn diagram for independent events look like? I know you have the two events intersecting, and the intersection is equal to the product of the probabilities of the two events.... But all I can picture is a normal diagram of two events intersecting, which by eyeballing looks just like the diagram of any 2 events (depndent or independent). Is there something unique to the diagram of independent events?

Mathematically, I just need to know that [tex] P(A \cap B) = P(A)P(B)[/tex] . But I can't form a graphical intuition about this, which I think would help me a lot.

Incidentally, I can't help but keep picturing the venn diagram of mutually exclusive events as a representation of independent events... But I know that is dead wrong, since mutually exclusive events are dependent.

Can anyone help me clarify this in my mind? Thanks!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If B is independent of A, it means that the intersection of B with A is the SAME fraction of A's total area as the intersection of B with not-A is of not-A's area.
  4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    I think I just got more confused. :smile:

Isn't the intersection of B with not-A the same as not-A? giving the fraction to be simply 1?

Obviously I must be missing something, big time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?