1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of measuring muons is a particular setup

1. May 24, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You want to measure the momentum of muons with the help of a proportional chamber, that is a chamber
    that applies an electric field inside its cavity and produces a signal current when a charged particle passes
    through it. The probability of generation such a signal for a single chamber is 97%. For a momentum
    measurement you need to measure the position of a muon in at least three points inside the detector, i.e.
    three proportional chambers provide a signal. What is the minimum number of chambers required to provide
    a momentum measurement for at least 99% of muons that pass through your detector?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The probability of a signal of a muon per chamber is: [itex] p = 0.97 \times \frac{1}{3} = 0.323[/itex].
    My problem however is that I don't know the number of the muons... Any feedback of what method I could use? I thought about using a Gaussian and integrating it from [itex]0.99N[/itex] to [itex]N[/itex] ([itex]N[/itex] is the total number of muons passing through and an unknown parameter).

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is not. It is 97 % as given in the problem statement.

How would that matter? If you have a coin that shows head 50 % of the time, do you need the number of coin tosses to use that value of 50 %?

You are overthinking this.

What is the probability to detect a muon three times if you have three chambers (assuming muons pass through all of them)?

4. May 24, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Oops sorry, I was wrong.

If I have 3 chambers the probability is [itex]p= (0.97)^3[/itex] and also that's the probability of a single signal. Now if I have to do it three times.... I guess I can use the binomial [itex]B= \begin{pmatrix} n \\ k \end{pmatrix} p^n (1-p)^{n-k} [/itex] with [itex]n=3[/itex] but I don't understand what's the meaning of [itex]k[/itex] here.
    In the coin toss example, [itex]k[/itex] stands for the number of successes in [itex]n[/itex] trials.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  5. May 24, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Let's call it "probability to get a momentum measurement" as signal is used for single chambers in the problem statement.
    Right. 0.97^3 < 0.99 so three chambers are not sufficient.

What is the probability to detect a muon three or four times if you have four chambers (assuming muons pass through all of them)?
    The decimal number could be interesting here.

6. May 24, 2015 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

It's that probability times the probability to get the right number of 3 signals out of 4 chambers?

7. May 24, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

No. You try 4 times, with 0.97 success probability each time. What is the probability to succeed 3 or 4 times?

8. May 24, 2015 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

[itex]0.97^3[/itex] or [itex]0.97^4[/itex]...

My conceptual problem comes when I add more chambers though... Because with four chambers I have the possible outcomes:
    x : no signal ... o : signal in each chamber:

x x x x - fail
    x x x o +3 permutations of o = fail
    x x o o + 4 permutations of o = fail
    x o o o + 3 permutations of x = success
    o o o o = sucess

The appearence of each o is 97% probable... Looking at this scheme then the probability would be:
    [itex] p^4 + 4 p^3[/itex] ? (this doesn't look right)

I think I'm trying to build up that:
    [itex] \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 4 \end{pmatrix} p^4 + \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} p^3 [/itex]
    But I'm missing the [itex]q=1-p[/itex] probability in this.

9. May 24, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, because you copied down the ##B##-formula incorrectly. Go back and read your post #3 again, putting in ##n = 4## and ##k = 3## plus ##k = 4##.

10. May 24, 2015 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

My problem then is why didn't 1-p appear? Where did I lose it in the logic?

11. May 24, 2015 #10

mfb

2016 Award

You just forgot to add it? It was present in the original formula.

12. May 24, 2015 #11

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Yes it was...
    So for 4 chambers I obtain:
    [itex] 0.97^4 + 4 \times 0.97^4 \times (0.03) =0.991..[/itex]
    I think I got the idea of the problem: "need the k>=3 success in n trials probability to be > 99%"...

13. May 24, 2015 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I said: go back and read your own post #3 again. Really do it, and carefully this time.

14. May 24, 2015 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

No it's OK... In each row I didn't count the probability (when it appeared) that the muon wouldn't interact, and that's why I was losing the (1-p) factors...:wink:

Eg for this: o o - o , I would have p*p*(1-p)*p ...

15. May 24, 2015 #14

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well the solution would be:

[itex] 0.99 \le P = \sum_{k=3}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ k \end{pmatrix} p^k (1-p)^{n-k} = 1 - \sum_{k=0}^2 \begin{pmatrix} n \\ k \end{pmatrix} p^k (1-p)^{n-k} [/itex]

Where I would have to solve for ##x## (and ##p=0.97##):

[itex] (1-p)^x + p (1-p)^{x-1} x +\frac{x(x-1)}{2} p^2 (1-p)^{x-2} \le 0.01[/itex]

Wolfram solves this with [itex] x \in [0.00202302, 0.936647][/itex] (which actually doesn't make sense since the number of chambers must be an integer... and [itex]x\ge 3.77 ... [/itex] whose right next integer is 4 (verifying the result of 0.991... I got above)

16. May 24, 2015 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For your given ##p## the equation ##P_n \equiv (1-p)^n + p(1-p)^{n-1}\,n + \frac{1}{2} p^2 (1-p)^{n-1} \,n(n-1) = 0.01## has three solutions for ##n \geq 0##, namely, ##n \doteq 0.002023##, ##n \doteq.93616## and ##n \doteq 3.77439##. Wolfram has found the two smallest and has taken the interval between the two. Algebraically, that is correct, but probabilistically it is invalid. If there is a way in Wolfram to tell it to restrict n to ##n \geq 1## then it should find the other root, and all ##n## values greater than that root will satisfy the inequality (because of the shape of the graph of ##P_n## vs. ##n##.

In Maple, the command 'fsolve(Pn = 0.01, n=1..10)' finds the largest root; here Pn is the formula above, with p = 0.97 and q = 0.03 in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted