1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of throwing dice

1. Jul 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pair of dice are thrown. If a die show number 6 , what is the probability of (a)another die show number 2? (b) total score for both number greater than 8 ?

for part (a) , my working is 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36

but actual ans is 2/11 for part (b), the ans is 7/11

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write down all the outcome pairs where at least one die shows a 6. How many such pairs do you have? How many of those pairs also include a 2?

4. Jul 15, 2014 #3
    (1,6) , (2,6) , (3,6) , (4,6) , (5,6) , (6,6)

one contain (2,6)

5. Jul 15, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about (6,1),(6,2) etc.?

6. Jul 15, 2014 #5
    hi, i got the solution now. but i just cant understand why i cant use the probability tree to get the ans as the photo below?

Attached Files:

7. Jul 15, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You drew a tree, but you haven't shown getting an answer to the question using it. What answer do you think the tree is leading you to?

8. Jul 15, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is that the exact wording? If so, it's a terrible question. As LCKurtz presumed, it almost certainly intended "if at least one die shows a 6", but that's not what it says.
    It all hinges on the basis for selecting the die showing a six. The wording suggests that the observer picked one die at random and saw that it was a six. That will not give 2/11 as the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted