Probability of Tying Grass Together

How many ways can you do that?In summary, the problem asks for the probability that a large circular loop is formed when randomly tying the ends of three indistinguishable blades of grass. This is equivalent to arranging the six ends into pairs, which can be done in 6! ways. However, not all of these arrangements will result in a large loop. By considering the complement of the desired event, it can be shown that the total number of ways is actually less than 6!.
HKfish

Homework Statement

Each of three indistinguishable blades of grass are bent roughly at their midpoints and clasped by these midpoints so that an observer can't match any of the ends in any way. In other words, all six ends are just dangling and appear completely unrelated. Suppose you are asked to tie the ends together (which, given the stipulations, can only be done randomly by selecting one pair at a time). First, determine the probability, as a reduced fraction, that a large circular loop results, and then, generalize for n blades of grass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what angle I should attempt this question at. If someone could just decipher this question for me it is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HKfish said:

Homework Statement

Each of three indistinguishable blades of grass are bent roughly at their midpoints and clasped by these midpoints so that an observer can't match any of the ends in any way. In other words, all six ends are just dangling and appear completely unrelated. Suppose you are asked to tie the ends together (which, given the stipulations, can only be done randomly by selecting one pair at a time). First, determine the probability, as a reduced fraction, that a large circular loop results, and then, generalize for n blades of grass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what angle I should attempt this question at. If someone could just decipher this question for me it is much appreciated!

It is asking for the probability that one end of blade A is tied to one end of blade B, the other end of B is tied to one end of C and the other end of C is tied to the other end of A---so you form a big loop. Of course, the order could instead be ACB, and either end of each blade can be chosen each time.

Ray Vickson said:
It is asking for the probability that one end of blade A is tied to one end of blade B, the other end of B is tied to one end of C and the other end of C is tied to the other end of A---so you form a big loop. Of course, the order could instead be ACB, and either end of each blade can be chosen each time.

Thanks for the reply! So, I attempted the question and figured out there is 6! ways of tying the grass (total). Now the problem is how do I figure out the factors to take out of the total? Thanks for your reply!

Rather than simplifying it and then accounting for various things, it might be clearer what you need to do if you label the ends

A1 A2 B1 B2 C1 C2

And consider how many different ways there are to arrange this such that A1 is next to A2, B1 is next to B2 and C2 is next C3

And remember that A1A2B1B2C1C2 is different to A1A2B1B2C2C1

Once you start writing these out you should see ways of simplifying the problem

HKfish said:
Thanks for the reply! So, I attempted the question and figured out there is 6! ways of tying the grass (total). Now the problem is how do I figure out the factors to take out of the total? Thanks for your reply!

You might also think about what it must mean if the *complement* of the desired event were to occur; that is, think of what must happen if the grasses do NOT form a large loop.

HKfish said:
figured out there is 6! ways of tying the grass (total).
Rather less. It's just a matter of arranging the 6 ends into pairs.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to find the probability of tying two pieces of grass together out of a total of 10 pieces, the probability would be 2/10 or 0.2.

3. What factors affect the probability of tying grass together?

The main factors that affect the probability of tying grass together are the length and thickness of the grass, the strength of the person's hands, and the technique used to tie the grass. Other factors such as environmental conditions and the type of grass may also play a role.

4. Can probability be used to predict the outcome of tying grass together?

Probability is a mathematical concept and cannot predict a specific outcome. It can only provide a measure of likelihood based on the given information and assumptions.

5. How can probability be applied to real-world situations?

Probability is widely used in various fields such as economics, finance, science, and engineering to make informed decisions and predictions. In the case of tying grass together, understanding the probability can help determine the success rate and potential challenges of the task.