1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability P(A\B) = P(A) - P(B)

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]A \subseteq B \subseteq S[/itex] where [itex]S[/itex] is a sample space.
    Show that [itex]P(A \setminus B) = P(A) - P(B)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]A \setminus B[/itex] denotes set difference; these are probability functions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have,
    [itex]P(A \setminus B) = P(A \cap B^{C})
    = P(A) - P(A \cap B)
    = P(A) - [P(B) - P(A^{c} \cap B)]
    = P(A) - P(B) + P(A^{c} \cap B)[/itex]

It seems like i'm close, but i've spent a while trying to figure out how to get rid of the [itex]P(A^{c} \cap B)[/itex].

Any insight anyone?
    Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    I think your inclusion is backwards: you mean [itex] B \subseteq A \subseteq S [/itex], right?

Try writing A as the union of two disjoint sets--this will give you P(A) in terms of something that can be rearranged into what you're trying to prove.

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    Yes, thank you.

I've tried that... unless i'm missing something?
    A as the union of disjoint sets is [itex]A = (A \cap B) \cup (A \cap B^{c})[/itex].
    So, [itex]P(A) = P((A \cap B) + (A \cap B^{c})[/itex].
    When i plug this in and do some rearranging, i just get right back to where i ended up in the original post?

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4
    Ah I see, your calculations just went off in an unexpected direction after the third equality. Take a look at your third equality: since [itex] B \subseteq A[/itex], then what is [itex] A \cap B[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook