1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Poisson Process and Gamma Distribution

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a) is no problem, it is simply P(X>10) = 1 - P(X<=10) which requires the use of tabulated cumulative poisson values.

Part (b) is throwing for a loop. I know that I need to invoke the Gamma distribution since that is what the solution is doing. But I don't really understand why. I think that it is because there is some relationship between a Poisson process and the Gamma distribution, but I am not exactly sure what it is.

What I do know, is that for Poisson processes, the probability that an event occurs X = x number of times in 't' time depends on the average number of times the Poisson event occurs per unit time. But how can I use this knowledge to solve part (b)?

Any thoughts?

Here is the solution if it helps to generate any ideas. I am just not sure why they are using the Gamma distribution.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    Any thoughts on this one? For some reason, I feel like it would make more sense to use the exponential distribution, but again, I am not really sure why. I still don't see why the fact that it is a poisson process allows me to infer that I can or should be using a gamma distribution?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook