Probability Question - Ball Urn Problem

In summary, using the binomial theorem, you can solve ball urn problems by calculating the probability of drawing certain colored balls from an urn with replacement. However, if the balls are drawn without replacement, the hypergeometric distribution should be used instead. In a scenario where the color of the first drawn ball is unknown, the probability of drawing two white balls remains the same, regardless of whether there is replacement or not. Additional information or context is needed to determine if replacement is possible.
GreenPrint
Using the binomial theorem you can solve ball urn problems. Like say for example a urn has 4 green balls and 3 white balls. You draw two balls. What's the probability you draw 2 white balls?

I just made this problem up off the top of my head. But anyways using the binomial theorem

(7C2)(3/7)^2*(4/7)^5

However this is wrong correct? Because it's impossible to draw two balls simultaneously... I just realized that. So how do you solve this problem then?

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
Using the binomial theorem you can solve ball urn problems. Like say for example a urn has 4 green balls and 3 white balls. You draw two balls. What's the probability you draw 2 white balls?

I just made this problem up off the top of my head. But anyways using the binomial theorem

(7C2)(3/7)^2*(4/7)^5

However this is wrong correct? Because it's impossible to draw two balls simultaneously... I just realized that. So how do you solve this problem then?

The issue is one of drawing *with* replacement (binomial applies) vs. drawing *without* replacement (binomial fails). For drawing without replacement you need to use the hypergeometric distribution.

In your case, the probability that the first drawn ball is W is 3/7. Given that the first one is W that leaves 6 balls in the urn, of which 2 are white, so the probability the next one drawn is W is 2/6. The probability of drawing 2 whites is P{WW} = (3/7)*(2/6) = 1/7.

For more on the hypergeometric distribution see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution
or
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HypergeometricDistribution.html
or
http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/urn/Hypergeometric.html .

Well what if you don't know if the first ball is drawn is W or or G?

1/7 if you draw W on the first draw
but if you draw R on the first than the probability you draw two W is zero

so how would you answer this question then since there are two answers I guess?

GreenPrint said:
Well what if you don't know if the first ball is drawn is W or or G?

1/7 if you draw W on the first draw
but if you draw R on the first than the probability you draw two W is zero

so how would you answer this question then since there are two answers I guess?

The answer is the same, whether or not you *know* the color of the balls.

Why is that? If you draw a Red ball on the first than there's no way to draw two white balls.

GreenPrint said:
Why is that? If you draw a Red ball on the first than there's no way to draw two white balls.

You asked for the probability of two white balls.

So given the question how do you know if there's replacement or not?

GreenPrint said:
So given the question how do you know if there's replacement or not?

You don't. Somebody needs to tell you, or you need more context. For example, in sampling industrial output by destructive testing, there cannot be any possibility of replacement.

1. What is the Ball Urn Problem?

The Ball Urn Problem is a classic probability problem that involves randomly selecting balls from an urn with different colors and trying to determine the probability of selecting a specific color or combination of colors.

2. How does the Ball Urn Problem relate to real-life situations?

The Ball Urn Problem can be used to model real-life situations such as selecting winners from a raffle, predicting the outcome of a sports tournament, or estimating the likelihood of a certain genetic trait in a population.

3. What factors affect the outcome of the Ball Urn Problem?

The outcome of the Ball Urn Problem is affected by the number of balls in the urn, the number of balls of each color, and the method of selecting the balls (with or without replacement).

4. How can the Ball Urn Problem be solved mathematically?

The Ball Urn Problem can be solved using the basic principles of probability, such as the multiplication and addition rules, as well as combinations and permutations. It can also be solved using tree diagrams or by creating a sample space.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Ball Urn Problem?

Yes, the Ball Urn Problem has various real-world applications in fields such as statistics, genetics, and economics. It is also used in decision-making processes and risk analysis.