1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability question in telephone network failures

1. Jan 16, 2007 #1

I have this problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In telephone network, an average number of failures during a month for one telephone owner is 8. What is the probability that some telephone owner will experience more than 4 failures?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea what distribution should I use to model this problem. So far I've come up with binomial distribution with probability of individual event 8/k, where k is number of connection the telephonist will make during a month.

But that seems really odd to me...

Could someone help please?

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you have the situation where there are k trials (attempted calls), the probability of "success" (i.e. there is a fault) is 8/k, and k is probably large.

What distribution is an approximation to the Binomial(n,p) as n becomes large and np stays constant?
  4. Jan 16, 2007 #3
    One way is to approximate it with Poisson distribution, but can I solve it using Central Limit Theorem? Which one is better?
  5. Jan 16, 2007 #4
    I tried to finish it using the Poisson distribution and it seems ok.

Anyway, using Central Limit Theorem I got result depending on n, is it ok?
  6. Jan 16, 2007 #5
    Yeap, I think Poisson distribution is more appropriate here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?