Probability question involving generating functions and expectation

In summary, the person is seeking help with the last part of a problem involving an expected premium and an inequality. They are unable to access a PDF and are questioning if they have made a mistake in their attempt at a solution.
LHS

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm stuck on the very last part of 5.b

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/PaperC2003.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't prove the inequality, would it be right to say the expected premium would be
£M(lambda)^(E[Y]-1)

Then I get (lambda)^(E[Y]-1)>k.. thinking I must have done something wrong because can't see how to get this to the one stated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't get to that PDF. By the way, if you decide to use LaTex on this forum, after you preview your post, tell your browser to reload the page. There is a bug in the forum software that usually makes the initial previews look screwy.

1. What is a generating function in probability?

A generating function in probability is a function that encodes the probabilities of a random variable in a power series. It is used to simplify the calculation of probabilities and moments of a random variable.

2. How is a generating function used to calculate expectations?

A generating function can be used to calculate expectations by taking derivatives of the function and evaluating them at 0. The first derivative evaluated at 0 gives the mean of the random variable, and higher order derivatives give higher moments.

3. Can a generating function be used for continuous random variables?

Yes, a generating function can be used for both discrete and continuous random variables. For continuous random variables, the power series in the generating function is replaced by an integral.

4. How can a generating function be used to find the probability distribution of a random variable?

A generating function can be used to find the probability distribution of a random variable by expanding the power series and comparing it to known power series representations of common probability distributions. This allows us to identify the probability distribution of the random variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using generating functions in probability?

While generating functions can simplify calculations and provide useful information about random variables, they may not always exist or be easy to find. Additionally, they may not be useful for all types of random variables, such as those with heavy tails or infinite variance.