1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability: supply and demand

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A replenishment order is placed to raise the stock level of a given product. The current stock level is s units. The lead time of the replenishment order is a continuous random variable having an exponential distribution with a mean of 1/m days. Customer demand for the product occurs according to a Poisson process with an average demand of [tex]\lambda[/tex] units per day. Each customer asks for one unit of the product. What is the probability of a shortage occurring during the replenishment lead time and what is the expected value of the total shortage?

2. Relevant equations
    The lead time has density function
    [tex]
    \mathbb{P}\, [T=t] = m e^{-mt} \, .
    [/tex]
    Let D be the daily demand. Then D has density function
    [tex]
    \mathbb{P} \, [D = k] = \frac{\lambda^{-k} e^{-\lambda}}{k!}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to combine this information to get the probability of a shortage. Do you have to use the law of total probability or generating functions? My guess for the second part is

[tex]
    \mathbb{E}\, = \frac{\lambda}{m} - s
    [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2
    bump

I did some more work on it, and tried the following:

P[Shortage within lead time] =
    [tex]
    \int_0^\infty d\tau \, \,m e^{-m\tau} \times \frac{(\lambda \tau)^s e^{-\lambda \tau}}{s!}\\
    =\frac{m \lambda^s}{(m + \lambda)^{s+1}}
    [/tex]

I think this is in the right direction, but it doesn't have the right limiting behavior for
    [tex]m \rightarrow 0[/tex]. Help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook