Probability that the product of 5 numbers will be divisible by 9.

In summary: P(product not divisible by 9) = 1 - P(none of the 5 numbers is divisible by 3)1-P(none of the 5 numbers is divisible by 3) = .5 + P(exactly 1 of the 5 numbers is divisible by 3, but not by 9).5 + P(exactly 1 of the 5 numbers is divisible by 3, but not by 9)= .8Therefore, the probability of the product of the 5 numbers being divisible by 9 is .8
pony1983

Homework Statement

If 5 numbers are randomly generated (excluding zero) what are the odds that the product of the 5 numbers will be divisible by 9?

I realize that if at least one number is divisible by 9 then the product will also be divisible by 9 or if there's at least 2 numbers divisible by 3(that aren't divisible by 9) the product will be divisible by 9.

Homework Equations

I don't know the relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My best attempt at a solution is 1-(7/9)^4 - I feel like this would be the odds of getting at least 2 numbers that are divisible by 3 that aren't divisible by 9 and 1-(8/9)^5 I feel are the odds of getting at least 1 number divisible by 9. I don't know how to combine the 2 though.

P.S. This is not a homework problem but I felt this would be the proper forum as I believe it is a "homework style" question. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to define how you intend to randomly generate the numbers. I assume you mean non-negative integers. Any limit on their size? Generating a random non-negative integer that can be arbitrarily large is an interesting task.

Oh yeah sorry I meant non-negative integers, and no there's no limit on the size of the integer.As for how it is randomly generated , I don't know , just assume that it is random.

probability of ( A or B) = probability of A + probabiity of B - probability of (A and B)

A = you get at least two numbers divisible by 3 , each of which is a number that is not divisible by 9

B = you get at least one number divisible by 9

So you need to work on computing the probability of (A and B) both happening. You might have to break the way it happens into several cases.

Ok based on that info here is my work:
1-(7/9)^4= .3659 (probability of getting at least 2 numbers divisible by 3 but not by 9)
1-(8/9)^5= .5549 (probability of getting at least 1 number divisible by 9)
.3659 + .5549= .9208
.3659 x .5549= .2030 (probability of getting at least 2 numbers divisible by 3 but not by 9; and at least 1 number divisible by 9)

.9208 - .2030 = 71.78%

Have I done this problem correctly?

probability of (A and B) = ( probability of (A given B) ) (probability of B)

If A and B are "independent events", probability of (A given B) = probability of A so you can multiply the probabilities of A and B.

In your problem, A and B are not independent events. If you get at least one number divisible by 9, then then you only have 4 or fewer chances to also get at least two numbers divisible by 3 and not by 9.

I have to admit I'm completely lost on what to do now.I guess I'll sleep on it and see if i can figure it out.

As proposed the calculation will become rather complex.

I suggest an alternative approach:

P(product divisible by 9) = 1 - P(product not divisible by 9)

P(product not divisible by 9) = P(none of the 5 numbers is divisible by 3) + P(exactly 1 of the 5 numbers is divisible by 3, but not by 9)

[edit]Can you calculate those?[/edit]

Last edited:

What does it mean for a product of 5 numbers to be divisible by 9?

For a product of 5 numbers to be divisible by 9, it means that the result of multiplying the 5 numbers together is a multiple of 9. In other words, the result can be divided by 9 without any remainder.

What is the probability that the product of 5 random numbers will be divisible by 9?

The probability that the product of 5 random numbers will be divisible by 9 depends on the range of numbers being considered. In general, the probability is quite low since there are infinitely many numbers that are not divisible by 9. However, if the range of numbers is limited to multiples of 3, the probability will be higher.

Can the product of 5 numbers be divisible by 9 if none of the numbers are divisible by 9?

Yes, it is possible for the product of 5 numbers to be divisible by 9 even if none of the numbers are divisible by 9. This can happen if the numbers have factors that, when multiplied together, result in a multiple of 9.

What is the probability that the product of 5 consecutive numbers will be divisible by 9?

The probability of the product of 5 consecutive numbers being divisible by 9 is higher compared to the probability of 5 random numbers being divisible by 9. This is because consecutive numbers are more likely to have common factors, such as 3, which can result in a multiple of 9 when multiplied together.

How can we calculate the probability of the product of 5 numbers being divisible by 9?

The probability of the product of 5 numbers being divisible by 9 can be calculated by finding the total number of combinations of 5 numbers and then determining how many of these combinations result in a multiple of 9. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as permutation and combination, or by using a computer program to generate all possible combinations and counting the ones that are divisible by 9.