Probability, There are 20 laborers to four different construction jobs

In summary: I get a totally different answer for (b). We can (randomly) assign workers to jobs sequentially; that is, first assign job 1, then job 2, etc. For job 1 there are N1 = 4 minority people and N2 = 20-4 = 16 non-minorities. The probability of assigning k1 minorities to job 1 is the hypergeometric distribution with parameters (N1,N2,n) = (4,16,6): p_1(k_1) = \frac{ {N_1 \choose k_1} {N_2 \choose n-k_1}}{{N_1 + N_2 \choose n}},
Kinetica

Homework Statement

Please help me in my attempt:

There are 20 laborers to four different construction jobs including 4 workers of ethnic minority. The first job required 6 laborers;
the second, third, and fourth utilized 4, 5, and 5 laborers, respectively. What is the probability that:

a) an ethnic group member is assigned to each type of job?
b) no ethnic group member is assigned to a type 4 job?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [16!/(5!3!4!4!)]/[20!/(6!4!5!5!)]

equals to 0.0051. Thus, there is 0.5% chance that each minority would be assigned to each job

b) I offer one way:

1- [16!/(6!4!5!1!)] / [20!/(6!4!5!5!)]

Please offer another way.

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you explain your logic behind your answer to part (a)? It may be obvious to you since you're in the class, but I don't see where your expression came from off the top of my head.

OK - Now I am correcting myself a bit. The logic behind part a answer:

The total number of all the possible options is [20!/(6!4!5!5!)].
Now I know that I have to put 4 minority workers into each job. So I have 4! options of distribution of those minorities. I also have 16! workers that are left to work with the rest of the jobs. So it goes:

(4!16!)/(5!3!4!4!)

That comes out to be greater than 1.

Then, the final answer for part a is:
(4!16!)/(5!3!4!4!) divided by [20!/(6!4!5!5!)]

Oh, OK. That looks right to me.

For part (b), what do you mean when you say a type 4 job?

It means the very last job, the fourth one.

So (b) isn't a complementary event to that of (a), so the method you tried isn't correct.

Kinetica said:

Homework Statement

Please help me in my attempt:

There are 20 laborers to four different construction jobs including 4 workers of ethnic minority. The first job required 6 laborers;
the second, third, and fourth utilized 4, 5, and 5 laborers, respectively. What is the probability that:

a) an ethnic group member is assigned to each type of job?
b) no ethnic group member is assigned to a type 4 job?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [16!/(5!3!4!4!)]/[20!/(6!4!5!5!)]

equals to 0.0051. Thus, there is 0.5% chance that each minority would be assigned to each job

b) I offer one way:

1- [16!/(6!4!5!1!)] / [20!/(6!4!5!5!)]

Please offer another way.

I get a totally different answer for (a). We can (randomly) assign workers to jobs sequentially; that is, first assign job 1, then job 2, etc. For job 1 there are N1 = 4 minority people and N2 = 20-4 = 16 non-minorities. The probability of assigning k1 minorities to job 1 is the hypergeometric distribution with parameters (N1,N2,n) = (4,16,6):
[tex] p_1(k_1) = \frac{ {N_1 \choose k_1} {N_2 \choose n-k_1}}{{N_1 + N_2 \choose n}},[/tex] where we use [itex] N_1 = 4,\; N_2 = 16,\; n = 6, \; k_1 = 1.[/itex] Now, given that job 1 has one minority member, we job 2 sees the situation with [itex]N_1 = 3, N_2 = 11, n = 4, [/itex] so [itex]p_2(k_2) \equiv P\{ k_2 | k_1 \}[/itex] is given by the hypergeometric distribution with the new parameters. Update again to get the probability that job 3 gets one minority, given that jobs 1 and 2 each have one, etc. Now, of course, the overall probability is the product of the individual probabilities, since [tex] P\{ k_1=1, k_2=1, k_3=1, k_4=1 \} = P\{k_1=1\} \cdot P\{ k_2=1 | k_1 = 1 \} \cdot P\{k_3 = 1 | k_1=1, k_2=1 \}
\cdot P\{ k_4 = 1 | k_1=1, k_2=1, k_3=1\}.[/tex]

RGV

Last edited:
[QUOTE=Ray Vickson}

I later corrected myself. Please see if my solution that follows the original posting is correct?

Thank you!

Kinetica said:
Ray Vickson} I later corrected myself. Please see if my solution that follows the original posting is correct? Thank you![/QUOTE said:
For part (a) I get answer = 40/323 [itex]\doteq[/itex] 0.123839.

What do you get for part (b)? I know you wrote something before, but are you sure that was the correct answer? Give reasons, don't just write things down.

RGV

Last edited:
Thanks, this is correct!

Kinetica said:
Thanks, this is correct!

So (he repeats): what did you get for part (b)?

RGV

1. What is the probability that a randomly selected laborer will be assigned to Job A?

The probability is 1/4 or 25%. This is because there are 20 laborers and 4 jobs, so each job has an equal chance of being assigned to a laborer.

2. If a laborer has already been assigned to Job B, what is the probability that the next laborer will also be assigned to Job B?

The probability is 19/19 or 100%. This is because there are 19 laborers left and only 1 spot available for Job B, so the next laborer will definitely be assigned to Job B.

3. What is the probability that a laborer will not be assigned to any of the four jobs?

The probability is 0/20 or 0%. This is because there are 20 laborers and only 4 jobs, so all 20 laborers will be assigned to one of the four jobs.

4. If a laborer has a 1/5 chance of being assigned to Job C, what is the probability that they will not be assigned to Job C?

The probability is 4/5 or 80%. This is because there are 20 laborers and only 4 of them will be assigned to Job C, so the remaining 16 laborers have a 4/5 chance of not being assigned to Job C.

5. If a laborer is randomly selected and assigned to a job, what is the probability that they will be assigned to Job D?

The probability is 1/4 or 25%. This is because there are 20 laborers and 4 jobs, so each job has an equal chance of being assigned to a laborer. Additionally, the previous selection of a laborer does not affect the probability of being assigned to Job D.