Probability: unfair coin toss, probably pretty easy

• Thread starter SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the homework statement is biased coin that lands heads with a probability of 2/3. Using the binomial distribution, the probability of at least one head in the three tosses is 7/27.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

A biased coin lands heads with probabilty 2/3. The coin is tossed 3 times

a) Given that there was at least one head in the three tosses, what is the probability that there were at least two heads?

b) use your answer in a) to find the probability that there was exactly one head, give that there was at least one head in the three tosses.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So i figured the best way to do this would be to find the probability of the complement events and subtract one.

So i calculated P(No heads)+ P(exactly one head)= 1/27 + 6/27 = 7/27. So my answer would be 20/27. Which isn't the answer in the back of the book.

I assume i am wrong and i think it has to do with the following clause: "Given that there was at least one head in the three tosses"

Dunno how to factor that into my work... any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
For part A as your given that there was at least 1. would you than have to just work out the probability of at least 1 head in the other two tosses?

If you use the binomial distribution

[itex]_{n}C_{r}\times p^{r}\times q^{n-r}[/itex]

where p = probability of success = 2/3 and q = the compliment (1-p) = 1/3

n = trials r = number of events ie you need at least r from n tosses

[itex]_{2}C_{1}\times p^{1}\times q^{2-1}[/itex]

give that a go

Yes, the problem is "Given that there was at least one head in the three tosses". For a) you want (P(2 heads)+P(3 heads))/(P(1 head)+P(2 heads)+P(3 heads)). P(no heads) doesn't enter into the sample space.

Dick said:
For a) you want (P(2 heads)+P(3 heads))/(P(1 head)+P(2 heads)+P(3 heads)).

Ok i calculated this out and got 20/26 which is the correct answer, but can you explain how you came to this formula?

If you wanted the probability without the restriction "Given that there was at least one head in the three tosses" the answer would be (P(2 heads)+P(3 heads))/(P(0 heads)+P(1 head)+P(2 heads)+P(3 heads)), right? Where the denominator is clearly 1. I just threw P(0 heads) out of the problem. Since your restriction doesn't allow it. It's P(of everything I want)/P(everything that satisfies the restriction).

Thanks dick, sorry you wasted your 12k post on me :/

SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE said:
Thanks dick, sorry you wasted your 12k post on me :/

It's not a waste, if you understood what I said.

can someone please solve this using sequences of events

1. How is the probability of an unfair coin toss calculated?

The probability of an unfair coin toss is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (heads or tails) by the total number of possible outcomes (heads + tails). For example, if a coin is weighted to land on heads 70% of the time, the probability of getting heads on a single toss would be 0.7.

2. How do you determine if a coin is unfair?

To determine if a coin is unfair, you can conduct multiple tosses and record the results. If the number of heads or tails is significantly different from what is expected (50% for a fair coin), then the coin is likely unfair. You can also use statistical tests such as a chi-square test to determine the fairness of a coin.

3. Can an unfair coin ever produce a fair result?

No, an unfair coin will always have a bias towards one side or the other and will never produce a truly fair result. However, the more tosses you conduct, the closer the results will be to the expected probability.

4. How does the weight distribution of an unfair coin affect the probability of a toss?

The weight distribution of an unfair coin directly affects the probability of a toss. The more weight on one side of the coin, the higher the probability that it will land on that side. For example, a coin with 60% weight on the heads side will have a higher probability of landing on heads compared to a coin with only 55% weight on the heads side.

5. Can a coin ever have a 100% probability of landing on one side?

No, a coin cannot have a 100% probability of landing on one side. Even if a coin is heavily weighted towards one side, there will always be a small chance that it will land on the other side due to external factors such as air resistance and the force of the toss.