1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability using a deck o' cards!

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A deck of cards is shuffled and the cards are turned up one at a time. What is the probability that all the aces will appear before any of the tens?

2. Relevant equations
    No equations that I know of are useful here...

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem is one that deals without replacement due to the unspoken assumption. Ergo, the initial probability of drawing an ace off the top of the deck is 4/52. I am not sure where to go from here. I have a similar problem concerning drawing 10 cards and finding the probability of drawing five red cards without replacement. This example uses the binomial theorem, but I am having a hard time using that theorem here...

Any helpful suggestions? Thanks for your time and help in advance! Much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do the other cards in the deck really matter? Suppose there are just 8 cards, 4 aces and 4 tens?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook