1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem about spherical angle operators

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    Hi

Here's the problem I am trying to do.

a) Is the state [itex]\psi (\theta ,\phi)=e^{-3\imath \;\phi} \cos \theta [/itex]

an eigenfunction of [itex]\hat{A_{\phi}}=\partial / \partial \phi[/itex] or of
    [itex]\hat{B_{\theta}}=\partial / \partial \theta [/itex] ?

b) Are [itex]\hat{A_{\phi}} \;\mbox{and} \;\hat{B_{\theta}}[/itex] hermitian ?

c)Evaluate the expressions [itex]\langle \psi \vert \hat{A_{\phi}} \vert \psi \rangle [/itex]
    and [itex]\langle \psi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle [/itex]

Now [itex] \hat{A_{\phi}}[/itex] has imaginary eigenvalues , so its not hermitian.
    I could show that [itex]\psi[/itex] is an eigenfunction of square of [itex] \hat{B_{\theta}}[/itex]. I have been able to show that the commutator of A and B is zero.
    So with this information, how do I check the hermiticity of B ?

for part c) , since there are two state variables , I am little confused about how to go
    about it ? any guidance will be appreciated... thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to represent the braket as an integral? If so, then to prove hermiticity you need to show that <ψ|Βψ> = <ψΒ|ψ>, i.e. that operator B gives the same result when it operates either to the left or to the right.

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3
    but this wavefunction has two variables, so how do I evaluate these amplitudes ?

5. Aug 11, 2011 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You do a double integral over two-dimensional spherical space.

6. Aug 11, 2011 #5
    Commutator is irrelevant here. What is an eigenfunction of B? What is the corresponding eigenvalue? Is it real?
    What Kuruman said.

7. Aug 11, 2011 #6
    [tex]\langle \psi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle = \int \langle \psi \vert \theta ,\phi \rangle \langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle d\theta \;d\phi [/tex]

is this the correct way ? so what next ? these kets in [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] , sre those eigenfunctions of B ?

8. Aug 11, 2011 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's almost right. You need to throw a factor of sin θ in there because the infinitesimal element of solid angle is [itex]d\Omega = \sin\theta\,d\theta\,d\phi[/itex].

9. Aug 12, 2011 #8
    ok vela

so that would be

[tex]\langle \psi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle = \int \langle \psi \vert \theta ,\phi \rangle \langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle \sin \theta \;d\theta \;d\phi [/tex]

so now what ? how do I evaluate this ?

10. Aug 12, 2011 #9

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess you don't know how to represent a braket as an integral.

[itex]<\psi|B|\psi>=\int \psi^*(B\psi) sin \theta \: d \theta \: d\phi[/itex]

You operate on the wavefunction with B to get a new function then integrate as indicated.

11. Aug 12, 2011 #10
    Hi kuruman

to go from my equation to your equation , we need to assume the following

[tex]\langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle = \hat{B_{\theta}} \langle \theta , \phi \vert \psi \rangle [/tex]

am i right ? if so , is the above equality always true , for all operators ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  12. Aug 12, 2011 #11

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You really need to beef up your understanding of Dirac bra-ket notation. When we write
    B|ψ> we mean "operate on function ψ with operator B", i.e. find a new function
    [itex]f(\theta,\phi)=\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\psi(\theta,\phi)[/itex]

When we write <ψ|Β|ψ>,
    <ψ| stands for ψ*(θ,φ)
    Β|ψ> stands for f(θ,φ)
    and closing the braket stands for "do the integral" [itex]\int \psi^*(\theta,\phi)f(\theta,\phi) \: sin\theta \:d\theta\:d\phi[/itex]

13. Aug 12, 2011 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Or to put it a little more formally,[itex]\langle \theta,\phi \vert \psi \rangle[/itex] is the representation of [itex]\vert \psi \rangle[/itex] in the [itex]\vert \theta,\phi \rangle[/itex] basis. That is, [itex]\langle \theta,\phi \vert \psi \rangle = \psi(\theta,\phi)[/itex]. Similarly, you have [tex]\langle \theta,\phi \lvert \hat{B}_\theta \rvert \psi \rangle = \frac{\partial}{\partial\theta} \psi(\theta,\phi)[/tex]
    Putting it all together, you get[tex]\langle \psi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle
    = \int \langle \psi \vert \theta ,\phi \rangle \langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle \sin \theta \,d\theta \,d\phi
    = \int \psi^*(\theta ,\phi) \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta} \psi(\theta,\phi)\right] \sin \theta \,d\theta \,d\phi[/tex]

14. Aug 12, 2011 #13
    kuruman , i was looking for more formal explanation. i am just using completeness property.

which is what i was saying exactly in post # 10 .

[tex]\langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B_{\theta}} \vert \psi \rangle = \hat{B_{\theta}} \langle \theta , \phi \vert \psi \rangle [/tex]

is it not ?

i remember studying somewhere about the derivation of such relationship. i will give an example about the momentum operator [itex]\hat{P}[/itex]

[tex]\langle x \vert \hat{P} \vert \psi \rangle =\int \langle x \vert \hat{P} \vert p \rangle \langle p \vert \psi \rangle dp [/tex]

[tex]= \int p \langle x \vert p \rangle \langle p \vert \psi \rangle dp [/tex]

now we know

[tex]\langle x \vert p \rangle = \frac{1}{(2\pi \hbar)^{1/2}}\; e^{ipx/ \hbar} [/tex]

putting this in the integral ,

[tex]= \int p \;\; \frac{1}{(2\pi \hbar)^{1/2}}\; e^{ipx/ \hbar} \langle p \vert \psi \rangle dp [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{1}{(2\pi \hbar)^{1/2}}\; e^{ipx/ \hbar} \langle p \vert \psi \rangle dp [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \int \langle x \vert p \rangle \langle p \vert \psi \rangle dp [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \langle x \vert \psi \rangle [/tex]

this is what i was talking about. is there any such process by which we can show that ,

15. Aug 12, 2011 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

To be a bit pedantic, sort of, but not exactly. I have [itex]\partial/\partial\theta[/itex] on the right-hand side, not [itex]\hat{B}_\theta[/itex]. Consider [itex]\hat{B}_\theta[/itex] as some abstract operator while [itex]\partial/\partial\theta[/itex] is its representation in the [itex]\vert\theta,\phi\rangle[/itex] basis. So you have[tex]\langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B}_\theta \vert \psi \rangle = \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \langle \theta , \phi \vert \psi \rangle [/tex]
    Though it's common, I see writing [itex]\hat{B}_\theta = \partial/\partial\theta[/itex] as kind of sloppy if you want to stick with the formalism of inserting complete sets, etc. It makes sense to apply [itex]\partial/\partial\theta[/itex] to the wave function of [itex]\theta[/itex], but not to an abstract ket.

It's just like how [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is the momentum operator in a general sense while [itex]p[/itex] and [itex](\hbar/i) \partial/\partial x[/itex] are its representations in, respectively, the momentum and position bases. Say you have some ket [itex]\vert \psi \rangle[/itex]. Then you have \begin{align*}
    \langle x \lvert \hat{p} \rvert \psi \rangle &= \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\langle x \vert \psi \rangle = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi(x) \\
    \langle p \lvert \hat{p} \rvert \psi \rangle &= p\langle p \vert \psi \rangle = p\psi(p)
    \end{align*}
    It wouldn't make sense to use [itex](\hbar/i) \partial/\partial x[/itex] when you're working in the momentum basis and vice-versa. Once you choose a basis, you know how to represent the operator and you have also chosen which wave function to use.

So getting back to your original question, I think saying [itex]\hat{B}_\theta = \partial/\partial\theta[/itex] pretty much tells you that you're working in a particular basis and that
    [tex]\langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B}_\theta \vert \psi \rangle = \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \langle \theta , \phi \vert \psi \rangle [/tex]
    holds.

16. Aug 12, 2011 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You could also look at this way:
    [tex]\langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B}_\theta \vert \psi \rangle = \langle \theta , \phi \vert \hat{B}_\theta \psi \rangle = \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \psi(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

17. Aug 13, 2011 #16
    so vela ,

is this the definition of the the way operator acts on the ket ?

so when an operator acts on the ket [itex]\vert \psi \rangle[/itex] one way to evaluate it
    is to take the inner product of this ket with some bra [itex]\langle x \vert[/itex] and then
    use the representation of the operator in the basis of this bra. i am using the book,
    "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili and he uses
    the operators in a sloppy way. Can you suggest any book or online resource where the formalism of quantum mechanics is presented the way it should be.

18. Aug 13, 2011 #17

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I wouldn't say it's a definition, but yeah, what you're describing is essentially what it boils down to. When you multiply a ket by [itex]\langle x \vert[/itex] on the left, you're finding the representation of the ket in that basis. This is what I was getting at in post #15. When you act on [itex]\vert \psi \rangle[/itex] with [itex]\hat{B}_\theta[/itex], you get the state [itex]\vert \hat{B}_\theta \psi \rangle[/itex]. Then when you multiply by [itex]\langle \theta, \phi \vert[/itex], you're choosing a basis. In that basis, the state is represented by the derivative with respect to θ of the [itex]\psi(\theta,\phi)[/itex].

You could also say
    \begin{align*}
    \hat{A} \vert \psi \rangle &= \int dx \vert x \rangle \langle x \vert \hat{A} \vert \psi \rangle \\
    &= \int dx \vert x \rangle \int dx'\langle x \vert \hat{A} \vert x'\rangle\langle x' \vert \psi \rangle
    \end{align*}
    which you can interpret as the representation of operator A in the x basis multiplied by the representation of the state ψ in the same basis.

In any case, don't get too caught up in the mathematical formalism. What kuruman said back in post #11 is what you need in a practical sense.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  19. Aug 14, 2011 #18
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook