Problem in Classical Mechanics

In summary, the problem involves a mechanical structure composed of 4 rigid thin bars connected by frictionless hinges and hanged from the ceiling. It also includes a mass hanged at the lower hinge and a rectilinear spring with given elastic constant and rest length. The first point requires the calculation of the force and total tension of the spring on one of the hinges, which can be done by using trigonometry and the formula for elastic force. The second point asks for the elastic constant needed for the structure to rotate with a given angular velocity while maintaining the same angle between the bars. The third point involves finding the moment of inertia and angular momentum with respect to the rotation axis for a general angular velocity. However, there may be some concerns with
</Henry>

Homework Statement

I am stuck over a classical mechanics problem. I tried to solve it, but after having solved the first point, I got stuck on the second one. Here is the problem:

>A mechanical structure is composed by 4 rigid thin bars of length $\ell = 8\ m$, mass $m = 5\ kg$ each one. Those bars are connected each other at their extremities through frictionless hinges, such that the whole structure forms a vertical rhombus.
The structure is hanged from the ceiling by means of the upper hinge.
In the lower hinge, a mass $M = 30\ kg$ is hanged.
Between the two horizontal hinges, a rectilinear spring (whose mass is negligible) acts with elastic constant $k = 40.5\ N/m$ and rest length $L = 9\ m$, such that the angle between the two superior bars is $\theta = 40^{\circ}$.

>Calculate:

>1) The Force the spring exerts over one of the hinges, and the total tension of the bars connected to the spring in that point;

>2) What should be the elastic constant if $\theta$ remains the same, when the whole structure rotates with constant angular velocity $\omega = 2$ rad/s, around the vertical axis?

>3) The moment of Inertia with respect to the rotation axis of the previous question, and the angular momentum when it rotates with a general $\omega$.

Here is the figure

9jCJG.jpg

For the first point, I calculated, though some trigonometry, the length of the spring in those conditions. Calling $l$ the semi length, I got

$$l = \ell\sin\frac{\theta}{2} = 2.736\ m$$

So the total length is $2l = 5.472\ m$. Now the elastic force is simply

$$F_k = k\Delta l = k (L - 2l) = 142.88\ N$$

And it's ok.

For the second point of the first request I used

$$T_{\text{tot}} = 2T\cos 70 ~~~~~~~ 2Tcos 70 - F_k = 0$$

$$T = \frac{F_k}{2\cos 70} = 209\ N$$

And it's ok.

**Now I'm stuck over the second request**

**Numerical results:**

2) $$\Delta k = -15.5\ N/m$$

3) $$I = 49.9\ kg\cdot m^2$$ and $$ L = 99.8\ kg\cdot m^2/s$$Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a concern with the problem statement.
The set-up appears overspecified. There is enough information to calculate the angle between the bars, and it is somewhat unlikely that it will turn out to be exactly 40 degrees.

For the second part, please post your working; can't tell where you are going wrong if you don't.

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that cause this motion. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and has been the foundation of physics for centuries.

2. What is a problem in Classical Mechanics?

A problem in Classical Mechanics is a specific scenario or situation that requires the application of principles and equations from this branch of physics in order to find a solution.

3. How do you solve a problem in Classical Mechanics?

To solve a problem in Classical Mechanics, you need to first identify the known and unknown variables, and then use equations such as Newton's laws of motion, kinematics equations, and the work-energy theorem to solve for the unknown quantities.

4. What are some common types of problems in Classical Mechanics?

Some common types of problems in Classical Mechanics include projectile motion, circular motion, simple harmonic motion, and collisions. These types of problems often involve the use of vectors, forces, and energy equations.

5. How does Classical Mechanics relate to other branches of physics?

Classical Mechanics is the foundation of many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Many principles and equations from Classical Mechanics are used in these other areas of study to understand and explain various phenomena.