Problem in solving differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of accurately simulating chaotic systems through computer simulations. The speaker raised concerns about the accuracy of their results when using different timesteps, and asked for advice on how to determine the optimal timestep for their simulations. The expert responds by explaining that chaotic systems are difficult to integrate accurately because of their sensitivity to initial conditions, and suggests trying different integrators and varying the timestep to find a consistent behavior. They also mention that the optimal timestep would depend on the time constant of the system and suggest using methods like rk4 or adams-moulton.
Oliver321
Hello everyone!
I was studying chaotic systems and therefore made some computer simulations in python. I simulated the driven damped anhatmonic oscillator.

The problem I am facing is with solving the differential equation for t=0s-200s. I used numpy.linspace(0,200,timesteps) for generate a time scale. I did this for three different timesteps: 10^5,10^6 and 10^7. For every timestep i get different results, and they jump between one another. If I increase it further, it changes again (see pictures).

Now I was wondering what was going on here! I thought the accuracy of the solution should be independent of the timesteps? If not, I can conclude: As I increase the timesteps, the result gets more accurate and if I increase it to high, there are going to be numerical errors. But how could I tell which solution is the right one? Shouldn’t 10^6 steps be enough?

Thanks for every answer!
Python code:
from scipy.integrate import odeint
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import scipy.signal as sig

F=63
xv0=[4.346,0]

res=10000000                                
tmax=200                                
t=np.linspace(0,tmax,res)
t2=np.linspace(0,250,res)
w=2                                        

def ddp(xv,t):                            
    x=xv[0]      
    v=xv[1]        
    b=0.3
    x2=-x-x**3-b*v+F*np.cos(w*t)
    return v,x2
x=odeint(ddp,xv0,np.linspace(0,50*2*np.pi/w,1000))    
xv0=[x[-1,0],x[-1,1]]

x=odeint(ddp,xv0,t)    
x2=odeint(ddp,xv0,t2)                                
n=int((res/tmax*2*np.pi/w))                          
peak,_=sig.find_peaks(-1*x[:,0],4)
x_s=np.take(x[:,0],peak)
v_s=np.take(x[:,1],peak)
t_s=np.take(t,peak)

fig, axs = plt.subplots(ncols=2,figsize=(12,4.8))
axs[0].plot(x2[:,0],x2[:,1],linewidth=0.5)
axs[0].plot(x_s,v_s,'.r',markersize='1')
axs[0].set(xlabel="x",ylabel="v")
axs[1].plot(x[:,0],x[:,1],linewidth=0.5)
axs[1].plot(x_s,v_s,'.r',markersize='3')
axs[1].set_xlim([-6.5,-4])
axs[1].set(xlabel="x",ylabel="v")
plt.ylabel('v')
#plt.savefig('phase_plot',dpi=300)
plt.show()

Attachments

• 10^6.png
    10^6.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 10^5.png
    10^5.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 10^7.png
    10^7.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Oliver321 said:
Now I was wondering what was going on here! I thought the accuracy of the solution should be independent of the timesteps? If not, I can conclude: As I increase the timesteps, the result gets more accurate and if I increase it to high, there are going to be numerical errors. But how could I tell which solution is the right one? Shouldn’t 10^6 steps be enough?

Long time integrations of chaotic systems are very difficult, precisely because they are chaotic: For few time steps (large step size), the algorithm is usually not accurate enough. Increasing the number of time steps leads to more floating point calculations, so more round-off errors, and the effect of these is amplified by the chaotic nature of the system ("sensitive dependence on initial conditions").

For certain systems, you can use specialized integrations, e.g. symplectic integrators for chaotic Hamiltonian systems, but your system is dissipative. You should in any case compare different integrators, vary the step sizes (as you already did), and see if you can discover consistent behavior among integrators, for step sizes that are somewhere between "not too lange" and "not too small".

• Informative
Likes Oliver321
Thank you very much, this is helping me a lot! Unfortunately I am very inexperienced in this topic.
At one hand, the step size 10^6 would be optimal from a theoretical standpoint (the Lorenz section would (if plotted in the right way) represent a u-sequence). On the other hand result of stepsize 10^7 would be more constant over a long range of the stepsizes. But maybe this is to large.
Could you give me a clue what you think would be a optimal range?

Edit: I now tried it with different solvers, and it seems that the plot from stepsize 10^7 is most accurate!

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens
The optimal time step would be related to the time constant of you system. Systems with multiple time constants that have a large separation are called "rigid", iirc, and don't behave well with numerical integration. You can try rk4, or multi step methods such as adams-moulton or adams-bashforth.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It relates the rate of change of the function to the function itself.

2. Why are differential equations difficult to solve?

Differential equations are difficult to solve because they often do not have a closed-form solution, meaning there is no explicit formula that can be used to find the solution. In addition, many real-world problems involve complex systems that can only be approximated using differential equations.

3. What are some methods for solving differential equations?

Some methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other techniques such as Laplace transforms, power series, and numerical methods can also be used to solve certain types of differential equations.

4. How do differential equations relate to real-world problems?

Differential equations are used to model and solve many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can describe the behavior of systems that change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. Are there any applications of differential equations in everyday life?

Yes, differential equations have numerous applications in everyday life. For example, they are used in weather forecasting, traffic flow analysis, and medical research. They also play a crucial role in developing technologies such as GPS navigation systems and image processing software.