1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on kinematics of body falling from space

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    Problem goes like this.. body falls toward a planet with acceleration of
    -g0*R^2/s^2. where R is the radius of planet 4000 miles, g0 is 30 ft/s^2, s is the distance of the body from the planets center. the initial distance of the body from the surface is 400 miles. find the impact velocity.

Pretty straight forward problem. i solved by substituting all the value in equation of acceleration and then finding impact velocity by equation v^2=u^2-2as. But the problem is i am getting the impat velocity as 6933 mph . The text book answer is different. Could someone please verify and let me know if i am right or wrong
    Would greatly appreciate the help.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... that equation only holds for constant acceleration - but the acceleration is not constant.

4. Jan 24, 2014 #3
    yes just realised that.. thanks for the help.. used the varying acceleration equation and got the answer

5. Jan 24, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sometimes your mind doesn't connect the dots until you tell someone else about it :)
    Well done.

6. Jan 24, 2014 #5
    Ya happens more than often to me.. :) thanks anyways...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted