Problem on kinematics of body falling from space

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a body falls towards a planet with a varying acceleration. The goal is to find the impact velocity, but the textbook answer differs from the calculated answer using the equation for constant acceleration. Upon further discussion, it is realized that the equation for varying acceleration should be used instead. The conversation ends with appreciation for the help and the realization that discussing problems with others can help connect the dots.
chiraganand
Problem goes like this.. body falls toward a planet with acceleration of
-g0*R^2/s^2. where R is the radius of planet 4000 miles, g0 is 30 ft/s^2, s is the distance of the body from the planets center. the initial distance of the body from the surface is 400 miles. find the impact velocity.

Pretty straight forward problem. i solved by substituting all the value in equation of acceleration and then finding impact velocity by equation v^2=u^2-2as. But the problem is i am getting the impat velocity as 6933 mph . The textbook answer is different. Could someone please verify and let me know if i am right or wrong
Would greatly appreciate the help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i solved by substituting all the value in equation of acceleration and then finding impact velocity by equation v^2=u^2-2as.
... that equation only holds for constant acceleration - but the acceleration is not constant.

Simon Bridge said:
... that equation only holds for constant acceleration - but the acceleration is not constant.

yes just realized that.. thanks for the help.. used the varying acceleration equation and got the answer

Sometimes your mind doesn't connect the dots until you tell someone else about it :)
Well done.

Ya happens more than often to me.. :) thanks anyways...

What is the definition of kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

How does the acceleration of a falling body change with distance?

The acceleration of a falling body does not change with distance. It remains constant at approximately 9.8 m/s^2 due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the speed of a falling body?

The speed of a falling body is affected by the initial height, air resistance, and the gravitational pull of the object it is falling towards.

What is the equation for calculating the speed of a falling body?

The equation for calculating the speed of a falling body is speed = acceleration x time, or v = gt.

How does the mass of a falling body affect its acceleration?

The mass of a falling body does not affect its acceleration. The acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects, regardless of their mass.