Problem on my Final. pulling box with rope problem

In summary, a student pulled a box of books weighing 68kg by a rope at an angle of 58 degrees above the horizontal plane of the floor. The floor has a coefficient of kinetic friction of µk=.27. The acceleration of the box of books is 68.4 m/s2.
J0hnnyD

Homework Statement

A student pulled a box of books weighing 68kg by a rope at an angle of 58 degrees above the horizontal plane of the floor. The floor has a coefficient of kinetic friction of µk=.27. What is the acceleration of the box of books?

Homework Equations

∑F = ma
Force of friction = µk * Normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose the direction the box of books was being pulled to be positive. Then I summed up all the forces in the x direction and applied Newton's Law F=ma and solved for a.

∑Fx = Force from rope in the x direction - Force of friction = ma
∑Fx = 68*cos(58) - .27*(68 * 9.81) = (68)a

solve for a.

This problem was on my final yesterday so the numbers arent correct but is my reasoning and approach to this problem right? I thought i knew how to do these types of problems but the answer i was getting wasnt a choice on the test.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi J0hnnyD! :smile:

The rope isn't horizontal, so the normal force will be less than mg. :redface:

tiny-tim said:
Hi J0hnnyD! :smile:

The rope isn't horizontal, so the normal force will be less than mg. :redface:

I thought to get the force of friction its always µk*N. what is the normal force then? mg minus the y component of the force of the rope?

Yea, exactly. The rope is pulling the box up a little, so the normal is actually less than mg.

J0hnnyD said:
what is the normal force then? mg minus the y component of the force of the rope?

Yes …

the reason is that the acceleration in the normal direction is zero, so all the components of force in that direction must add to zero. :smile:

I'm trying to understand this problem so if anyone could clarify.
But from what I am seeing here you really can't get a definite answer from
this problem because there is no force defined for the pull on the box,
so what you end up with is the Friction force depending on the pull in the
y direction which leads to unknown variables which depend on each other.
Somebody please explain to me if this is the case or I'm just not seeing something.

Hi jkerrigan! :smile:
jkerrigan said:
But from what I am seeing here you really can't get a definite answer from this problem because there is no force defined for the pull on the box,
so what you end up with is the Friction force depending on the pull in the
y direction which leads to unknown variables which depend on each other.

ah, but novop :smile: didn't have the exact question in front of him when he posted …
J0hnnyD said:
∑Fx = 68*cos(58) - .27*(68 * 9.81) = (68)a

solve for a.

This problem was on my final yesterday so the numbers arent correct …
… from the numbers in the posted (wrong) equation, we see that the pulling force was (by coincidence!) 68 N. :wink:

1. What is the problem on my final about?

The problem on your final is a classic physics problem that involves pulling a box with a rope. The goal is to determine the tension in the rope and the resulting acceleration of the box.

2. What concepts do I need to understand to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to have a good understanding of Newton's laws of motion, particularly the second law (F=ma), as well as the concepts of force, tension, and friction.

3. How do I approach solving this problem?

First, draw a free-body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the box. Then, set up equations using Newton's second law and solve for the unknown variables. Make sure to pay attention to the direction of forces and use appropriate signs in your equations.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid while solving this problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not properly identifying all the forces acting on the box, neglecting the effects of friction, and using incorrect signs in the equations. It's also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given information.

5. Can you provide any tips for solving this problem more efficiently?

One helpful tip is to break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts. For example, solve for the tension in the rope first, then use that value to solve for the acceleration of the box. It's also important to clearly label your variables and show all your work step by step.