Problem simplifying the solution of an ODE.

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of the underdamped oscillator in a physics book. The final step involves using the identity cos(A+B)=cos(A)cos(B)-sin(A)sin(B) and comparing it to the terms in the equation. It is mentioned that the conditions for this step to work are that \alpha^2+ \beta^2=1. If this is not true, the equation is multiplied and divided by \alpha^2+ \beta^2 to make it work. The conversation ends with the clarification of the steps and understanding of the derivation.
-Dragoon-
So, I was following the derivation in my physics book of:
[itex]x(t) = c_1e^-(\frac{\gamma t}{2})\cos(\omega_d t)+c_2e^-(\frac{\gamma t}{2})\sin(\omega_d t)[/itex]

Until they simply get to this in one step:
[itex]Ae^-(\frac{\gamma t}{2})\cos(\omega_d t + \phi)[/itex]

I've tried reading many other sources for this derivation of the underdamped oscillator, and I follow up until this last critical step and they don't hint at the omitted steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a pretty standard step. Use the identity cos(A+ B)= cos(A)cos(B)- sin(A)sin(B).

Comparing that to [itex]\alpha cos(\theta)+ \beta sin(\theta)[/itex]
([itex]\alpha= c_1e^{-\gamma t/2}[/itex], [itex]\beta= c_2e^{-\gamma t/2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= \omega_d t[/itex].)
We need [itex]cos(A)= \alpha[/itex] and [itex]sin(A)= \beta[/itex]. Of course, that is not possible unless [itex]\alpha^2+ \beta^2= 1[/itex]. If that is not true, then we multiply and divide by [itex]\alpha^2+ \beta^2[/itex]:
[tex](\alpha^2+ \beta^2)\left(\frac{\alpha}{\alpha^2+ \beta^2}cos(\theta)+ \frac{\beta}{\alpha^2+ \beta^2}sin(\theta)\right)[/tex]

I think Halls meant$$
\sqrt{\alpha^2+ \beta^2}\left(\frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{\alpha^2+ \beta^2}}cos(\theta)+ \frac{\beta}{\sqrt{\alpha^2+ \beta^2}}sin(\theta)\right)$$

Got it, thanks everyone.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its current value and the rate at which it is changing.

2. Why is it important to simplify the solution of an ODE?

Simplifying the solution of an ODE makes it easier to understand and apply in real-world situations. It also allows for more efficient calculations and can lead to more accurate results.

3. What methods are commonly used to simplify the solution of an ODE?

Some commonly used methods include separation of variables, substitution, and integration by parts. Other techniques such as numerical methods and series solutions may also be used.

4. What are some challenges in simplifying the solution of an ODE?

One challenge is finding an analytical solution, as some ODEs may not have a closed-form solution and require numerical methods. Another challenge is determining the appropriate method to use for a specific ODE, as different methods may be more suitable depending on the equation's characteristics.

5. How can understanding the solution of an ODE benefit other areas of science and engineering?

The solution of an ODE is widely applicable in many fields, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It can be used to model real-world phenomena, make predictions, and optimize systems. Understanding ODEs can also lead to the development of new mathematical techniques and advancements in various fields.