Problem solving tips for physics exams

In summary, this person needs help memorizing formulas and doing problems from the book, as well as reviewing concepts.
decibel
help please!

i have a mid term physics test in abut a week, i really need some studying tips anyone can give...,problem solving tips?, shortcuts oin questions, anything that could help me would be greatly apprecited...thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a couple of possible things to do:

memorize the formulas, make sure you know exactly what each varible stands for.

Redo all assigned problems. It's very hard for teachers/professors to come up with something that hasn't been asked before. What we (ahem, I mean "they") often will do is put into the test a problem from the book that was not assigned as homework, so go over as many as possible. Try the heardest ones and spend a lot of time on them. Struggle. IT makes you better.

IF this is your first semester of physics, then you probably have just done mechanics, I'm guessing. THink "Law of Conservation of energy" whenever possible.

When solving problems, always write down the known quantities and identify the variable for the thing you want to know.

Your text probably has some underutilized "conceptual" questions. Try to answer as many as possible.

Make sure you know the full, proper definitons of all the key terms from the text (like "work" and "impulse" for example.)

Study a lot but get plenty of sleep the night before.

Wear a blue shirt, since it absorbs green light which will make you smarter.

Excellent advice there (not sure about the blue shirt though!). The only other point I would add is to make BRIEF notes of all the main concepts that you have covered. In doing this it helps you focus on what exactly it is that you are supposed to have learnt.

Chi meson's first statement "Redo all assigned problems" is SUCH good advice, but one that oddly, most students won't do no matter how much you cajole them...

In addition to what Chi Meson just said - If you have the time then find other editions of the text that the teacher is teachin this material and work those problems too.

Fundamental Axiom of Learning Physics: One can never do too many physics problems!

Of if you don't take time for things like sleep and fun then that's no good either. Don't work to hard as to put yourself into a comma!

Balance Danielson! Balance! :-)

Pete

hey thanks a lot for the help, i really appricite it guys,

1. What are some general problem solving tips for physics exams?

Some general tips for problem solving on physics exams include: breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, drawing diagrams or visual aids, using formulas and equations correctly, checking units and significant figures, and using critical thinking skills to analyze the problem and determine the appropriate approach.

2. How can I improve my speed in solving physics problems during exams?

To improve speed in solving physics problems during exams, it is important to practice regularly and become familiar with the various formulas and concepts. Additionally, it can be helpful to develop a problem solving strategy such as identifying the given information, determining what is being asked, and choosing the appropriate equation or method to solve the problem.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem during an exam?

If you get stuck on a physics problem during an exam, take a deep breath and stay calm. Try to break the problem down into smaller parts and focus on one aspect at a time. If you are still struggling, move on to the next problem and come back to the difficult one later. It can also be helpful to ask your teacher or a classmate for assistance.

4. How can I ensure I am showing all necessary steps in my problem solving process for physics exams?

To ensure you are showing all necessary steps in your problem solving process for physics exams, it is important to practice regularly and become familiar with the steps involved in solving various types of problems. Additionally, it can be helpful to double check your work and make sure you have included all necessary calculations and units.

5. How can I use critical thinking skills to approach physics problems on exams?

Critical thinking skills are essential for solving physics problems on exams. This involves carefully analyzing the given information, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using logic to determine the best approach, and verifying your answer to make sure it makes sense. It can also be helpful to think outside the box and consider alternative methods of solving the problem if you get stuck.